Plum

Eider in trouble *update*

Thanks for asking Tasha, I feel bad keep worrying when I read about all your problems with your poor boy. :(

Anyway she seems ok and bright. She hasn't pood except small bits so I've given her some codliver oil. Her prolapse is the same and I've thought I need to make sure the opening doesn't constrict so thought perhaps I should check it with a finger rather than wait and it tear if she lays. She's not laying again so it looks like the gloomy environment and diet is working.

Gave her a bath tonight as her feathers are wet and have a lot of urates in them, don't want her getting cold. Started using some sudocrem as advised :D

I'm off on thursday so will take her to the vet for a check and more antibiotic cover. Then give her some time with the others and may let her sleep with them.

Does that sound ok.

Hope your little fella heals.

An egg was there this morning but all the dead tissue was stopping it coming out. I broke it and got it all out and have cut away as much of the dead tissue as I dare.

We went to the vet and although I felt we were progressing he just said give her just one more week and antibiotic cover. :(

I was hoping he would debride the area but no. Oh well I'm keeping going and feel if the dead stuff sloughs off then she may keep the prolapse in. She's bright in herself and doesn't peck at it or even look at it but I know chickens hide their discomfort.

Thanks for asking. :D

No eggs thank goodness and I managed to get rid of 70% of the necrotic tissue with viable skin underneath so hopefully over the weekend the rest will seperate and she will tolerate the prolapse inside her again. Fingers crossed anyway. At least if she lays now she will be able to stretch to pass the egg and there is a hole for it to come out of which was the problem in the first place.

Don't really know how she is in herself with leaving before 8 and getting home in the dark, they'll have lots of attention tomorrow. :D

Well your mealworms and vibes are working. Haven't had a good look but when I fished her out this morning all the part that was debrided has gone back in :D Just the part still crusty outside.

Thinking about putting her back on pellets now or would you give her tackle a few more days rest to settle. :? Still going to keep her seperate until she has laid successfully in case she prolapses again because Grackle is a begger for interest in other chickens behinds. :roll:

Given her a bath and seperated rest off and its all gone back :dance:

However, the exit to the oviduct has thickened skin so don't know what the outcome of that is goig to be.

Looking back she had a runny nose when she came. Could have been infectious bronchitis so that could have led to salpingitis and adhesions hence her current problem, for a week or so before this happened the floor of the cube was awfully wet and I was wondering if the cube was leaking but now I realise she was dripping fluid from the vent as she is now. In retrospect if only I had taken her for antibiotics when she had a runny nose perhaps we wouldn't be in this situation now. :( Hope she is on the right antibiotics now will have a search.

Edited by Guest

Fantastic everything in place this morning and her vent looks normal, like a pre laying chicken and tweeking. :dance::dance:

All her feathers are dry and the cube tray is dry. Each day she has been dripping even her tail so no drying off needed :D I had some metacam left from the cat so started that yesterday, don't know if its the anti inflamatory action or because its all in the right place.

Not counting my chickens before the lay so she's staying on same management as you advised Tutti with extra grapes :D