Plum

Eider in trouble *update*

Hello Plum and sorry to hear that :(

Try and warm the area and gently encourage the prolapse back in. Using olive oil or vaseline to gently pop it back into place. Sit with her on your lap, somewhere warm and quite dark as this will calm her down if she is getting aggitated.

When all is back in place feed her weetabix, boiled rice etc to try and slow down the egg making process and give her a chance to recover.

Hope she is better soon.

:D

Well been to vet and doesn't look good but I want to give her a chance. What happened was I found her with the prolapse and egg hanging out with membrane over the egg. I washed it and there was no exit point so I broke the membrane to release the egg. Vet thinks it was a congenital problem.

She has baytril to take and I have to continue to wash it and use anusol. He suggested using sugar water to reduce the swelling. Tasha you did that please can you explain, did you make a paste or just bathe in solution?

The prolapse goes back but reappears with straining. I am following your advice Christian and have her inside in cat carrier with weetabix to eat. Will sort out seperate accomodation outside later.

Thanks for your support.

I should be jumping up and down saying hurrah she's not a cockeral. I will when she heals. Keep your fingers crossed for her. :D

Thanks all, silly girl laid another egg :roll: the prolapse is still there looking congested and purple. I keep putting it back but it reappears as soon as she strains to pass a stool. I shall keep going.

I gave her a short time in the garden with the others under close supervision. Motmot was pleased to see her and greeted her with a peck on the head then followed her around closely. She started standing hunched falling asleep so she is back inside in the cat carrier.

She doesn't seem to be drinking can i give the Baytril as a bolus? I'll go and search some other posts.

I just wetted the prolapse and sprinkled sugar on t, I was careful not to rub it in as it would have been abrasive

Once back in apply some pressure with your palm evenly over the vent area and hold it there for a while so she doesnt push it immediately back out and it has a chance of staying in

Well the prolapse is still there but by using the sugar it has shrunk. Its about an inch but the end is crusty and probably necrotic tissue, so hope it sloughs off ok. If I get it to stay in she soon strains and pushes it out. Hopefully if the swelling keeps going it won't irritate her so much.

She's dripping fluid or urine or something an awful lot but not really drinking. She doesn't seem dehydrated. :?

I've erected the small run and house again so she can be near the others. Most of the time she seems bright and pottering but every now and then goes hunched and miserable. She straines frequently. See what tomorrow brings.

Thank you Omlet folk for the support xx

An update, Eiders prolapse is no longer congested and inflamation seems to be settling & the flesh around it looks less friable too. It's about 1/2" now so thats better but poo exit is still outside. As before it still keeps prolapsing.

The end of the oviduct is still crusty so I was wondering what to put on it now. I've stopped using anusol because it constricts blood vessels and I guess now she needs a good blood supply to heal. I've sprayed it with purple spray, so do I put something to dry it so it flakes off or do I use something to make it moist so it sloughs off? Any ideas?

I'm cautiously feeling we might get through this if infection and laying can be avoided. :?

I've covered her run to reduce the daylight and am feeding her wheat and greens plus a few mealworms. Any ideas?

Thanks Peeps x