Plum

Eider in trouble *update*

I have her on a normal diet now as she is in with the others but before I gave her wheat, corn, garvo treats, bill oddie mix, mixed corn, weetabix, cod liver oil, mealworms and chic grit but she still lost weight.

There was something in last months practical poultry about feeding them wheat, corn etc., as opposed to pellets and mash as a healthy diet. I must look into it. There are often comments about chickens being forced into lay with chicken feed so was wondering about using an old fashioned diet for them. I really am not bothered about loads of eggs (don't tell OH :lol: ).

soon as I give mine extra protein(tuna, mealworm etc) (often happened as she has been a pal of a poorly one, then lost weight herself for some reason) She goes into over production.sometimes 3 eggs a day only one good! she then layed blood clots. :( very worrying.

It IS hard when thi e others are on mash tho. but it IS organic. :)

yes look into that natural feeding, think the thread is "commercial feed"

The day I have been dreading has arrived.

Eider has laid again and produced the most beautiful perfect little creamy egg with no signs of trauma. :dance::dance::dance:

chickenquilt005.jpg

I really thought I would be making that sad journey to the vet instead I am over the moon. :D

That's interesting, no trouble with softies then?

None at all. Egg production did drop a little bit when they first went on it and they also ate as if they had never eaten before but it's all regulated now. I won't be swapping back. I can't remember when I first swapped but I think it was April last year. I know I did a thread about it.