chelsea

cat stalking my chickens

we have lived in the same house for 13 years. Never seen a cat in our garden .......until about a month ago. We have 6 foot high fence all around and a big German shepherd who hates cats, but this particular ginger tom seems to has his eye on my girls :evil:

Hubby has been out several times to find cat sat watching the girls in their run and freeranging (which they love to do), he scared the cat away - but it keeps on coming.

I've just come in now from shooing it away again......I knew something was up as Ella was making the loudest clucking noise ever! :shock::)

My girls are big, do you think this cat is gonna try his luck and hurt them??

I cant keep my eye out all the time, but luckily the dog chased it away a minute ago - so maybe it will take the hint :wink:

:evil:

I've had the same thing, no problems with cats until recently. We had a ginger tabby stalking our chickens. They can look after themselves but I was worried about them being scratched. So every time I saw the cat I sneaked up and threw water on it (I know, it might seem mean!), but it seems to have worked. :)

My own cat doesn't bother with the chooks at all! (mind you she is the laziest cat I know!) X

Water does the trick. I tell my neighbours to get the hose pipe out on Molly if she's poo's in their back gardens. There's nothing worse is there. She does, however, love to sit in the run with the hens. They've grown to like each other!

I would never trust a cat I didn't know. They are lovely animals but can be really unpredicatable. I would say that your chooks would put up a good fight if the cat started anything, and with the noise I should think the cat would run a mile up the nearest tree!

Keep chucking the water. It will get the message.

Must be a thing about ginger toms. We had one that used to bully my little Molly. :evil:

Our own cats don't bother the girls - too old and well fed to be interested.

However about 4 weeks ago a new cat to teh neighbourhood turned up in our garden and had a go at Twinks (she wasn't hurt just a little indignant) there was muck squawking and Babs had a go at the cat. It was seen running for its life over the back wall followed by squawking, clucking girls.

It's been back a few times to watch the bird table from a safe distance on the top of the wall and doesn't seem to be interested in the girls. Just to be safe though i squirt it with the hose pipe and runs away quickly. Not seen it as much lately, hoping it's learning.

cant believe the JRT is scared of the chickens! :shock::lol:

my mother in law's JRT terrorises my girls :evil:

I did squirt the cat with the hosepipe today, hubby did it the other day...I dont mean to be cruel (we love all animals) but I suspect the owner must be wondering why their cat keeps coming back wet !!! :)

its got some nerve this ginger I can tell you !

will keep an eye out

not saying a cat wouldn't have a go but chickens are just too big and too noisey for most cats, although they can't resist watching them . Try one of those big water gun things ase well, water works best when the cat is taken by surprise. Might take a few goes but cats usually get the message.

My cats don't bother my chickens. Boris is just too lazy and Angus avoids them as he is a real scaredy cat :roll: . I get other cats in the garden and none of them have ever bothered the chickens...the only one that tried to get anywhere near soon found out that she was no match for my girls :D

I'd be much more worried about a dog getting in (luckily they can't coz of fences) and attacking them

There's a small black/white cat not much bigger than the chickens who sleeps next to but outside the pen. Yesterday it chased Katy and Trinny separately (as I was cleaning the eglu and let them into the whole garden) and they ran off, even though I was around nearby. I was hoping they would fight back :?