Guest revnev

collar and cuffs...

Somebody told me recently - was it Kannie?? - that chickens feathers fade in the sun over time - so that when they moult the new feathers can be a lot darker..

this certainly seems to be the case with Mrs Miggins who has been moulting for a while now - and she seems to be pretty much done now...

this is before:

migginswindow.jpg

this is after: (not such a good photo I'm afraid)

20070203_175.jpg

anyone else notice this phenomenon??

Phil

Yep...definitely...one of my gingernuts moulted spectacularly last autumn. She was a sorry sight for quite a few weeks.

When her new feathers appeared they were a gorgeous deep auburn having been a fairly average mid ginger. Haven't got any decent before and after photos I'm afraid.

Phil,

Mrs Miggins is gorgeous! (odd name though! :? ) Is a bluebelle a pure breed or a hybrid?

H

She's a hybrid. We used to have themed names from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Trarl, Marvin the Paranoid Chicken, and Trillian..

unfortunately they were all eaten by foxes - so we figured Hitchhiker names were unlucky - so we turned to Blackadder for inspiration

Mrs Miggins appears in most of the series - perhaps most famously in Mrs Miggins Pie Shoppe - where (in the Scarlet Pimpernel episode) they were serving some very suspicious jumbo sausages to French "Ooops, word censored!"lemen...

the other is called Spot because we all put names in a hat - and drew out the first two. My middle son was responsible for that name - he wanted to call them "Spot" and "Rover" - 'cos he thought it would be cool for chickens to have dogs names... :roll:

so now you know!! :lol:

Phil

Phil,

Mrs Miggins is gorgeous! (odd name though! :? ) Is a bluebelle a pure breed or a hybrid?

H

She's a hybrid. We used to have themed names from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Trarl, Marvin the Paranoid Chicken, and Trillian..

unfortunately they were all eaten by foxes - so we figured Hitchhiker names were unlucky - so we turned to Blackadder for inspiration

Mrs Miggins appears in most of the series - perhaps most famously in Mrs Miggins Pie Shoppe - where (in the Scarlet Pimpernel episode) they were serving some very suspicious jumbo sausages to French "Ooops, word censored!"lemen...

the other is called Spot because we all put names in a hat - and drew out the first two. My middle son was responsible for that name - he wanted to call them "Spot" and "Rover" - 'cos he thought it would be cool for chickens to have dogs names... :roll:

so now you know!! :lol:

Phil

Ah! It all becomes clear now, though i only really watch blackadder 4th (the best of the lot) and i can't remember her mentioned in there?!

Ah! It all becomes clear now, though i only really watch blackadder 4th (the best of the lot) and i can't remember her mentioned in there?!

actually - come to think of it - she was only in series three...

In Mrs. Miggins' coffee shoppe (`Literary Salon')

(Shelley, Coleridge, and Byron are at a table. Shelley sits up holding a

handkerchief; Byron stands very erect, staring straight ahead at nothing;

Coleridge appears dead. As Shelley begins to speak, the person at the next table stands and moves to a table as far away as possible.)

S: O, Love-bourne ecstasy that is Mrs. Miggins, wilt thou bring me but one

cup of the browned juicings of that naughty bean we call `coffee', ere I

die...

M: (swoons) Ooohhhh, you do have a way of words with you, Mr. Shelley!

By: To Hell with this fine talking. Coffee, woman! My consumption grows

evermore acute, and Coleridge's drugs are wearing off.

M: Ohh, Mr. Byron, don't be such a big girl's blouse!

(Edmund and Baldrick enter)

E: Ah, good day to you, Mrs. Miggins.

M: (swoons and giggles)

E: A cup of your best hot water with brown grit in it -- unless, of course,

by some miracle, your coffee shop has started selling coffee.

8)

Phil

Mrs Miggins is a lovely hen Phil :P

I bought Brian the entier Blackadder series on DVD for Christmas- but the girls have pinched it & are ploughing through them upstairs in their rooms :roll:

They keep coming up with little Blackadderisms, which is a bit odd but very funny.

The particularly seem to like Lord Flasheart & Devon quoted him saying that she "liked the taste of a mans tonsils" last week :oops::lol:

gooner.girl, Blue Belles are medowsweet hybrids & just the most gorgeous hens.I had one but lost her last year......I will get another one day :P

I have a bluebell (Bluebell, unimaginative, I know) and she turned quite yellow before the winter. You could clearly see the new dark purply-grey feathers during her moult - she moulted quite slowly and steadily, so the grew back before they fell out, IYSWIM.

Now she's all shades of grey, and in the early morning light she's very blue.

Mrs Miggins is a lovely hen Phil :P

I bought Brian the entier Blackadder series on DVD for Christmas- but the girls have pinched it & are ploughing through them upstairs in their rooms :roll:

They keep coming up with little Blackadderisms, which is a bit odd but very funny.

The particularly seem to like Lord Flasheart & Devon quoted him saying that she "liked the taste of a mans tonsils" last week :oops::lol:

Flash is the best - but most of what he says cannot be repeated here!!

I think it was... "She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils."

WOOF!

Enter the man who wears no underwear, ask me why! (why do wear no underwear lord flash?) Because the pants havn't been built yet that can take the job on!

... that kind of thing!!

I don't know why - but our family got stuck on the episode where blackadder was really poor and they had to make money fast - and Percy decides that the obvious answer is for him to crack the problem of alchemy!!

Blackadder: This place smells worse than a pair of armored trousers after the Hundred Year War. Baldrick! Have you been eating dung again?

Percy: My Lord! I have waited on your return!

[hugs Blackadder]

Blackadder: And thank God you did, Percy, for I was just thinking to myself, "My God, I die in 12 hours, what I really need now is a hug from a complete prat."

Percy: After literally an hour's ceaseless searching, I have succeeded in creating gold, pure gold.

Blackadder: Are you sure?

Percy: Yes, my lord. Behold.

Blackadder: Percy... it's green.

Percy: That's right, my lord.

Blackadder: Yes, Percy, I don't want to be pedantic or anything, but the colour of gold is gold. That's why it's called gold. What you have discovered, if it has a name, is "green".

Percy: Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

Blackadder: Indeed you do, Percy, except, of course, it's not really a nugget, it's more of a splat.

Percy: Well, yes, a splat today... but tomorrow - who knows, or dares to dream?

Blackadder: So we three alone in all the world can produce the finest green at will?

Our kids are often to be heard (with Percy's ridiculous tremorous voice) proclaiming:

"Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?"

:lol:

must go and watch them all again!!

Phil

I'll have to go off and watch them again now as well :roll::lol:

We have 2 bluebelles - Tallulah was our original Omlet hen. She is 3 years old now and last summer, she faded to a horrible yellowy grey before moulting. She has now regrown beautiful fethers and looks so much darker because she had very faded feathers before.