madchickenlady

Covatutto 6 - New to hatching!

I, er, accidently bought a Covatutto 6 incubator on ebay (in my defense, it was a bargain). I am only planning on hatching a few chicks, and I have somewhere for excess cockerels to go to. Just wondered if anyone had a similair/the same model, and any tips you might have? Its a manual incubator. Also, slightly less pleasant topic, but can someone tell me how you go about culling small chicks if the need arises? I won't be attempting a hatch until I have this sorted in my mind first. Thanks! :)

In the instructions for my Covatutto 7 it mentions the Covatutto 6 as a similar model. Be prepared for the most annoying incubator ever. We have 9 days left and it's driving me nuts with the constant flashing. I have fallen in love with my little R-Com minis all over again. They turn the eggs, regulate the temperature and humidity automatically, etc. I think that this might be the only time the Covatutto comes out of the box.

:D

Please remind me of what I've just said next time I fancy hatching.

Feel free to pm me, it is something fresh in my mind and I have done quite a bit of reading on the subject.

A kind offer madchook.

However, just a note to say that at the moment any such information would not be endorsed by Omlet, and anyone acting on it would do so at their own risk. :D

I seriously think omlet should consider having another board, one for over 18's with a sensitive warning possibly? In the world of chicken keeping, esp with breeding and dual purpose birds becoming popular, it is possibly niave to constantly try and moderate to a level that would be comfortable for somebodies 7 year old to read (or very sensitive adults) - would this not make it easier for you guys?! I know there is plenty of info out there elsewhere but not everyone is thorough, and I get the impression omlet do not want you directing to other forums as you can't even type two p's next to eachother without it turning into a PP:D

On 3/29/2010 at 6:23 PM, Redwing said:

The mods are deciding how best to impart information on the culling of chicks as this subject may be distressing to some, please could advice be held until we post back?

Thanks for your co-operation :D

Pm me if you want to know about culling .