MedusA

Allotment beekeeping here we come

Having already got agreement in principle from our allotment liaison officer, we had our allotment AGM yesterday.

We put it to the plotholders that we would like to have a small apiary in the community orchard area. The response was an overwhelming

YES :dance::dance::dance:

In fact there wasn't one person who voted against it. :D:D:D

We're hopefully going to start on the apiary fencing over the easter weekend, but hives may be a bit longer coming as Thornes have an 8 week wait on their Bees on a Budget kits right now. :doh:

I've got an empty nuc just in case I get a swarm before we have a hive ready.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I'll try to take loads of pics as we do the building and setting up. We're hoping to start with the fencing this weekend (weather permitting). We're very excited about the idea. One of the plotholders is alreqady rallying people to plant lots of nectar-rich flowers to reward the bees. :D

Well we put the Bank Holiday weekend to good use (and a couple of afternoons too) and we've built the fencing for the apiary. The Allotment Liaison Officer insisted it was 7 - 8 feet high, for elf'n'safety reasons. We decided to use rolls of bamboo panelling to provide a visual barrier for the bees to fly over, but still allowing ventilation and dappled sunlight through. We secured chicken wire around the base to prevent dogs/children from going underneath the panelling.

You can see a slideshow of what we've done so far here