dannablue

My New Chicken Run Extension

After we got our 4 girls 10 weeks ago and saw just how much damage they can do to our lawn we decided that to give our lawn a chance of remaining green and not turning into a mud bog :pray: we would extend the run as a compromise so that we could reduce the amount of free ranging but still giving the girls enough space to be happy when in the run. (They do come out of the run often but not for hours on end as they first did but they seem happy with the new arrangement).

My other half kindly built me an extension which I am very pleased with, so much so I thought I would share some pics with you.

run2.jpg

run6.jpg

run5.jpg

The original run had the triangular roof which had 3 sections. He cut off one section to run the flat roofed extension down the side.

What do you think?? I am pleased with the results, and I think the girls are too as they are still laying plenty of eggs for me :D

Oh my! That looks fab and your garden is so neat and tidy too - just how do you do that?!!

I feel better now as I thought it was a little shabby at the moment due to all the building work done putting the coop and run together. I am slightly behind with my planting of my veg but am slowly catching up. Do a bit at a time I find its the best way :wink:

That looks fab! Hopefully I am getting a bigger run and although its too late to save the lawn- well the 3 blades of grass that are left- we are hopeful it will be the solution! At the minute we have the Eglu and run and the girls free range all day- hence NO lawn, flowers, veg and no red currants on my bush until the height they cant jump up to!

Asked my friend about fixing up something bigger from 2x1 and chicken wire but.....he`s got a bit carried away and is planning something far grander! I am wanting it covered tho and the jury is out on that one,lol. May end up with retractable covers at first but- beggers cant be chosers and I am very grateful he has offered at all! Hopefully the area will be big enough for them to free range without squwacking all day for freedom! and the fence high enough to prevent the Magnificent Mercedes and her Amazing Feats of Daring!!

Watch this space- I may even figure how to post piccies! :eh:

Jan