bongus Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 just wondered what people do when their girls stop laying? do they just stay on...or are there places for old chickens to see out their days?... some of my more brutal friends have made suggestions that i am not really keen on...you can guess i'm sure i would like to think that tweedy and deeley would have a happy retirement when the time comes Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 My hens will retire to the best place in the world. With me I don't care if they don't lay. That's the idea behind getting three every year ......(I've gone a bit awry there but that was the plan) ...... you always have SOME eggs. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 I've got a lot of free-loaders and I don't care Especially so with the ex-batts, I consider this their retirement home and any eggs from them are a bonus, I have no expectations of them at all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 Same here, they are productive pets, with the emphasis being on pets. They will live out their days in pampered luxury with me. I agree with Griffin, ex batts particularly so, as they have definitely earned a rest and a happy retirement Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 oh dont - i find it hard to think that far ahead. i know the day will come. I hope in 3 yrs or so I will be able to afford another Eglu or something and get 3 more. I wouldnt get rid of them - I just buy eggs if I have too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 That's the idea behind getting three every year ......(I've gone a bit awry there but that was the plan) ...... you always have SOME eggs. I agree. I started with 3 and plan to add a couple each year or so (although I am waiting for my next 3 and it's not been 3 months yet let alone a year ) I am prepared for the fact that I may need more hen houses but I wouldn't just get rid of them because they had served their purpose. I'll end up having lots of happy geriatric hens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 Most of mine are pure breeds anyway so they don't lay through the Winter but mine will also live out their retirements with us. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 Mine will stay on here, despite DH muttering about it! I hope to get more chickens this year, and then we will have a few who are always laying. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mole Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 just out of interest is it ok to eat your hens when they stop laying? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 Very tough,stringy and little meat. Not that I've tried, just anecdotal. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 We are veggie so my two are in very safe hands and will live out their lives in the luxury to which they have become accustomed..On the subject of eggs, (and bearing in mind I only have two girls) is anyone else as mean with their girls' eggs?..as far as I am concerned they are for enjoying as the main focus of a meal (mostly breakfast but occasionally supper if we have omelette)..If I am making a cake or something that is egg heavy ( eg... Hugh FW's Egg Tartare...delicious but with all the other flavours in there it doesn't really call for my special eggs ) I buy eggs I'll get my coat Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 If I only had 2 chickens I would follow that theory. However, having 15 chickens, I don't really have an egg shortage We've had 10 eggs a day for the past 3 days Although I do have an egg use method. Unusual colours go in the sale boxes as a rule, bantam/small eggs make fab fried eggs and my Grandad likes them, decent sized eggs from younger hens get poached and boiled, and the ex batt eggs are used for baking Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Busybird Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Mole wrote just out of interest is it ok to eat your hens when they stop laying? A laying hen has little meat on it - all the energy goes into the egg laying. Birds raised for the table are fattened up for that purpose. Also, if you wait until a hen stops laying she will be an old lady so what meat there is will not be tender. However, if you are comfortable with and competant at dispatching a hen then it is possible to eat one. Just make sure you cook it long and slow - pot roasting it works. Sorry if this view offends anyone Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
oneyolktoanother Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 My hens will retire to the best place in the world.With me I don't care if they don't lay. That's the idea behind getting three every year ......(I've gone a bit awry there but that was the plan) ...... you always have SOME eggs. i totally agree Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 That's the idea behind getting three every year ......(I've gone a bit awry there but that was the plan) ...... you always have SOME eggs. I'm going on this plan too, I've been holding to it for lots and lots of years Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Most people I talk to can't believe that we will just keep the girls when they stop laying. One of my mum's friends has asked if we are going to eat them One of mine has more or less given up the ghost although since the newbies started laying she's supplied a couple of eggs this week. I'd much rather she didn't bother as she looks pretty tired as it is and I think she should just rest. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 That's the idea behind getting three every year ......(I've gone a bit awry there but that was the plan) ...... you always have SOME eggs. I'm going on this plan too, I've been holding to it for lots and lots of years why isn't there a splutter/cough/ smilie when you REALLY need one Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 We have some freeloaders, but I don't know which ones - I'm not bothered at all, they'll all stay with us until the end. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 I would LOVE Boris my ex batt lady to stop laying.It does her no good at all & we do all we can to keep her in good condition.She has laid almost daily for three years - 1 year in the battery & 2 years with us. Wish she would stop. Axx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...