Simon_and_Lynda

A Cautionary Tale

8) That's great news and I like the way you decided on their names, perfect.

I've heard that getting the angle to cover the area you need for Foxwatch is critical, but it may take a few days to be most effective (for the fox to realise not to go near), and that those who have used this have found it invaluable and effective.

Welcome Henny Penny & Jemimah. :D

The fox repellant mentioned in another thread says it deters cats and dogs as well, although it works the same way as a Foxwatch. So perhaps you have to be a bit careful what you buy?

Just caught up with this too. A very timely reminder as I was definitely getting far too relaxed re letting the girls out when we're not around. Added to which I heard the foxes last night so I will be extra vigilant now.

Such sad news about your girls but, like the others have said, they obviously had a happy and spoilt life (quite right too), and you won't forget them.

Congrats on getting your new pair - eggs already - just the thing.

Mady.

How awful for you all. We eventually invested in an electric fence for the garden. When we increased to four hens I was leaving them free rangeing all day, but every night came home full of anxiety that they may not be there. The fence has given me a senseof relief re the foxes, a designated space in the garden for the girls - so no poo everywhere else!! Although I still have to tackle the problem of Beatrice flying out - not a pretty sight - to lay her eggs. I have been shocked a couple of times, so have the dogs. I learnt quickly to remember to turn it off before grabbing hold of it, however Ellie the English Setter (daft breed) is so nosey she can't keep her nose away!!!!! Have fun with your new hens and good luck with whatever fox deterrent you get.

I got up this morning to find something had dug under the eglu from both sides where it sort of curves under the base. It's virtually a tunnel from both sides - however whatever it was hasn't dug near the run part [yet]. :?

I can only guess it was a fox :evil: - I would have thought a fox would have made our security lights come on but I suppose if it was after dawn we wouldnt know - So I'm off to research electric fences and shotguns :shh: .