Simon_and_Lynda

A Cautionary Tale

:(

very sad today.

I went out last night at about 10pm, having realised I forgot to close the girls in their run; the clocks going forward threw me, as when it was bedtime for the children it was still bright. Then I sat down and had dinner and watched some TV before I realised it was late.

When I got outside, closed the run and checked in the eglu, no chickens. Then I saw one of them lying on the grass and some feathers on the grass nearby. Her head had been ripped off and all that was left was the body. The other hen was nowhere to be seen, but there were a couple of feathers over the fence next door. I can't even tell which one was which as the only way we could tell them apart was their combs.

We still don't know where the other one is. I left the run open just in case she came home havinf sought refuge in a tree or somewhere. She didn't. In a kind of perverse way, I hope she has been eaten because at least then it's not so much of a waste.

It must have been a fox. I can't imagine a cat being able to rip a chicken's head clean off, nor carry the other chicken over our 6 foot fences.

I know I should have locked them in earlier, but they were having so much fun poking around the dirt and hunting for worms. I just plain forgot, and that was all it took.

I had thought our garden was quite fox proof, as it has 5-6ft fences around, and I put chicken wire where there were a few gaps, but there is a corner with logs piled up where one could probably have jumped over after next door's fence fell down a while ago. I'll read the fox thread later for some more tips, but maybe it's been coming every night waiting for a break.

I feel just terrible, and neither of us slept well last night. We just keep thinking of the girls snuggled up together in the eglu before being dragged out and killed. It's heartbreaking.

Lyn told our three year old this morning, and he pointed at a picture of a hen on a book he has and said 'Don't worry Mummy, We can get this hen and it will eat the fox up'.

Anyway, I've been on the phone and Omlet are delivering another two on Wednesday. They won't replace Henny and Penny, of course, but we can't bear to look in to the garden and see the empty eglu there.

Ironically, we spent most of yesterday speculatively househunting and the most important criteria was a bigger garden so the girls could have their own space and give up back a chicken-poo free garden for the Summer. We didn't expect that to happen so soon.

So, please, make sure you don't let your guard down as we did. Foxes don't need a second chance.

Simon

:( Very sad for you, it's such an easy thing to do, and it's brave of you to share the tale so that someone else may be spared that horrible shock.

You'll always remember your special first hens, and they had a lovley life of luxury with you. So, I'm glad that you are getting another pair.

Your son was so philosophical, we need a child's perspective sometimes, what a darling. :)

Trouble is, once a fox has been it is extremely likely to come back, and may not wait until dark. A 6' fence is nothing to a fox once it's decided on a route, so you may need to have another plan. Well, moving house is a good one! But, maybe Foxwatch or electric fencing?

I do share your sadness, and hope you all have fun with the new chickens.

R.I.P.Henny & Penny.

Thanks everyone,

:(

Trouble is, once a fox has been it is extremely likely to come back, and may not wait until dark. A 6' fence is nothing to a fox once it's decided on a route, so you may need to have another plan. Well, moving house is a good one! But, maybe Foxwatch or electric fencing?

I do share your sadness, and hope you all have fun with the new chickens.

R.I.P.Henny & Penny.

Foxwatch looks like a good option - Does anyone have any experience of it?

I'm also reading about the urination deterrent. Sounds like a good excuse for some midweek beers...?

Simon

that's so sad, so sorry for you - don't blame yourselves, we can't watch them every minute, and it could have happened any time that you weren't in the garden, not just because it was after dark. The Fox/Chicken conflict has been going on for thousands of years, ever since people started keeping hens. What a horrible shock for you both.

Thank you for sharing this, to remind us all to be vigilant. I think you are very courageous (and doing the right thing) to get more hens straight away - you won't forget Henny and Penny, but I hope your new chickens bring you as much pleasure.

Sorry to hear what happened. I've been getting lazy recently and, while the girls have been out, have popped out to post a letter or go to the local shop - then I read your story and it shows how a fox attack can happen so quickly. A fox walks down the street past my living room window every night at the same time, but I've never seen any sign of it out the back - I suppose its only a matter of time - I'm going to be more careful!

Foxwatch looks like a good option - Does anyone have any experience of it?

Simon

Sorry to hear about your girls, what an awful experience for you.

Before I got my girls I used to see foxes in the street late at night so ordered a foxwatch at the same time as my eglu.

I've never seen a fox near the garedn but the problem is that it's hard to know if the foxwatch works until it doesnt (if you know what I mean).

For the sake of £50 ish - I'd rather have one anyway.

Sorry to hear that Simon - it only takes a second :(

Foxes do watch for a break in security. We have electric wire around the perimeter of all the runs and so far we've been OK. There is evidence every day that the fox has been prowling around overnight.

So sorry to hear that Simon and Lynda!

Don't beat yourselves up about it. The fact that you were looking to move and get a bigger garden is proof that your chooks were cared for. They had a fab life with you and thats what you need to remember.

Just look forward now and thanks for posting such a difficult topic as reminder to us all.

So sorry to hear about Henny and Penny, that's very sad. :cry:

I do hope your new girls will bring some distraction for you and the family.

This is a timely reminder, we're coming to that time of year when foxes have cubs to feed, and from previous experience, that's when they are at their boldest and most wily, so thank you for posting the warning.

Sue x

This is a timely reminder, we're coming to that time of year when foxes have cubs to feed, and from previous experience, that's when they are at their boldest and most wily, so thank you for posting the warning.

Sue x

That's exactly what I was going to say - we're just starting the most dangerous time of the year. We must all be extra careful.

Simon and Lynda, I am so sorry and understand the distress you must feel, especially with regard to their being taken from their cosy and safe home. The new hens will help you to move on. I hope you find some solace in them.

Really sad to hear your news Simon and Lynda, thank you for posting your message though, I hadn't locked the run door last night until after dark and had a panic in case there weren't two chickens in there :( It is so easy to think "I'll just give them another few minutes free ranging" and then get distracted and before you know it, it's dark outside.

Hope your new hens settle in Ok, big hugs x

Thank you very much for all your kind words. It's also nice to know we're not alone in being a little careless now and then; though for the last time, I hope.

The new girls arrived from Omlet this morning, and have already each laid an egg. They've also been taking corn from my hand after being a little hesitant at first. One looks just like Henny & Penny did (so she's Henny Penny), while the other has alot more white around her neck and back (she follows the Beatrix Potter theme and is Jemimah). Hopefully we'll be able to tell these two apart

I'll post some pictures when I get some good ones. I expect that won't be until we let them out to roam at the weekend.

They also came with some Omlet netting (which I was planning to get anyway) which I hadn't actually realised could be electrified! We'll not go that far yet, though it's still an option. Foxwatch should arrive in a day or two, so hopefully that will help.

"The chickens are dead. Long live the chickens..."

Simon

Sorry to hear about Henny & Penny.

We lost our first 2 girls to a fox - at 10.30 on a quiet Sunday morning when we were all in the house! We went out and got 2 more the same day, and though they were never the same as our first two (the originally named Ginger & Pepper) we grew to love them. I felt sick for days after the attack.

We extended the run, so our girls would have more room (then added 2 more chickens - defeating that object!). Now I only let the girls out when I'm in or near the kitchen - the warmer weather means I have the kitchen doors open most of the time. Luckily as I work(?) at home, they get plenty of liberation time.

You're doing the right thing, replacing your girls. Just show that fox who's boss!