redfrock

Just leaving the house to ....

.... and so I came home with...

Orla - a beautiful black and gold bovans nera (the most striking)

Bronwyn - a white star (the smallest but bossiest)

Tuesday - a nearly all black daisy belle (the most friendly)

Carmen - a black and white daisy belle

We were only getting three but coulnd't decide which three of the four to get, so they all came home with us.

The same will probably happen when we have Aunty E's eglu. We have decided to build them a large run in the garden and then they will free range in the rest of the garden evenings and weekends etc (and the odd day that I get to work from home).

They immediately settled - none of this hiding business that I have read about! They immediately started eating, scratching and investigating. And they love cumcumber! I put half a Q in the run and they have eaten the whole lot - skin and all. Although they are all in the one eglu there is plenty of space and they won't be confined to the one run for long - probably just 1 week because hubby is extending their run at the weekend but we hope to have them free ranging before that.

I have spent the whole afternoon in the garden with them. It's great!

ps: photos to follow :)

Hi Redfrock,

I'm so pleased they've arrived. Congratulations! :D

I bet you had a difficult choice to make at Colin's, he has so many wonderful chooks to choose from. Our 4 hens from him are wonderful, they were all so friendly and inquisitive from day one. :lol:

Wishing you lots of fun and EGGS!!

:wink:

Hi Redfrock,

I bet you had a difficult choice to make at Colin's, he has so many wonderful chooks to choose from. Our 4 hens from him are wonderful, they were all so friendly and inquisitive from day one. :lol:

Todays weren't from Colin's :oops: - they were slightly more local, but the next 4 in May will be :)

Hi all im Mr Redfrock.

I know claire has given the chooks fancy names but all i wanted to do was call one "DAVE" and she said "NO" repeatedly, i kept asking but the answer was still "NO"

Still, in my mind i will still call them all "DAVE" :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Bronwyn is not a fancy name!

though making it wyn and not wen does masculinise (word?) it

fab names though how did they come about?

Congratulations Mr & Mrs Redfrock on the new arrivals (or the 4 Dave's, whichever you prefer :wink::D:D ). They sound gorgeous.

Can I just ask if Colin is the young guy near the A20 (St Mary Cray/ Orpington area), lovely young partner, multiple piercings and chickens absolutely everywhere you look :? . Probably not a very flattering description, but we bought 2 of ours (Phil & Brie) from this couple 2 years ago now. At the time they were in a tiny cottage and trying to move, and we lost contact with them after that. Not sure if we're talking about the same people here, but it'd be great to hear if they'd managed to move and extend their business. They were so passionate about chickens. Really lovely people.