johnandkymberley

Fireworks & Bonfire night

Hi all, so the dreaded firework and bonfire night is getting closer. I mean dont get me wrong i love fireworks as much as the next person but im so worried about my girls. We had a couple of fireworks the other night and i had 1 softy the next morning. There is a school not far from us that does a firework show, i used to work in that school until i found my current job and the fireworks they show are massive. I dont live next to the school or anything but they made my windows rattle, i honestly thought a war had been declared! So my boggle is this; my girls free range most days depending on work and other commitments (like everyone else on here i dont want my girls to be out without someone being in) We have a (pink eglu) that is stored in our spare room atm as our double garage has been taken down and we are struggling to put all our stuff in a shed now! lol Could i or should i put the eglu in the kitchen and put my girls in it over night? just to shield them from the fireworks? All 7 of my girls would be in it together as i only have one eglu, which isnt ideal but would one night really be so bad for them? they all sleep in the nesting box together anyway!!! would love to hear some views on this, like i said one night max and then in the morning they will be back in the garden etc. Thanks in advance xx

Edited by Guest

Not planning on doing anything different with my lot on bonfire night.

I'm not expecting fireworks too close to us. Personally I think fireworks should be one night a year in an organised display. People have become too stupid and inconsiderate with their use. Just gives me one more thing to be grumpy about.

Not planning on doing anything different with my lot on bonfire night.

I'm not expecting fireworks too close to us. Personally I think fireworks should be one night a year in an organised display. People have become too stupid and inconsiderate with their use. Just gives me one more thing to be grumpy about.

i totally agree with the one night thing by us they even let them off in the day i just can't see the point :x its not like you would see them!

Hi, well i wouldnt have bothered to think about it until i saw that soft egg, i mean it was one firework. I am a bit concerned aswell that the 5th is a fri, so people plan to do more dont they? i think i will bring them in, its not much effort to get the eglu up and the poo tray and everything will just be jetted down after xx

I hadn't really thought about fireworks until just now really.

Where we live there are quite a few vintage aircraft displays, with very low and loud planes flying overhead. They didn't seem too bothered about them - and the commotion our Ben causes woofing at them! :lol: Our Ben isn't a barky type of dog, but for some reason aircraft seem to set him off as if he thinks they're invading us or something! :o:lol:

Have any Omleteers girls been really badly affected by the fireworks? :think::(

I ALWAYS worry about my pets at this time of year when the fireworks start up. I so hate them. I am not against a nice colourful display but these very loud banger type ones that make the building 'shake' are the worst. They are just too powerful and it causes countless animals/wildlife distress. :evil:

I have lost a guinea pig that died from fright from very loud fireworks going off. The distress it caused her was just too much. I try to leave a loud radio on now for them to try and mask the noise a bit but there is not much you can do to blot out the very loud ones.

This will be my first year with the chickens too, so hope they are going to be ok. I could bring them inside on the Friday 5th but as we all know Bonfire night isnt just one night now, it can stretch over two weekends. :?

I hate to sound like a kill joy but if its one thing I would ban, it would be fireworks.

I hate fireworks with a passion! It always starts this time of year and ends in January. :wall: We seem to get loads of them and my poor dog's not happy with all that noise. They should really limit it to a certain time, like in some other countries.

I hope the chickens will be ok in their coop. :pray:

I just make sure that mine are in with the door shut. They tend to go catatonic when they're sleeping so have not seemed to be bothered by it previously.

I wish firework night was just one night, but it really goes on and on round here :(

And as for fireworks at the hotel nearby with couples getting married ....

humbug!

I think it depends on where you live and how bad the fireworks are in your area. We have really excessive fireworks round here, to the extent I have rocket tails sticking out of the kitchen window, a dent on top of my car where a firework landed etc. :twisted:

Our girls come in for bonfire night and the weekends around bonfire night. They have a large carrier that they go to the vets in. They sleep in that and settle very easily. If they are in a spare room I always make sure the heating is off in there or they will get too hot.