Snowy

Some new pics

Thought you'sd like these pics :D

Snail with a death wish:

April28th2007015.jpg

He never did get eaten, he sailed away into the flowerbed as calmly as anything, and the girls completely ignored him. And yet I've seen them eat snails complete with shells in the past! :shock:

Pom and Bella both desperate to lay at the same time:

April28th2007008.jpg

Not sure how they resolved the situation in the end, but next time I looked there were 2 eggs there. :D

:lol: Lovely pics Snowy! Doesn't the Eglu look lovely and cosy with the girls in it. Makes mine look like it needs a really good clean :roll::?

We've been doing loads of gardening over the weekend, and the hens have thought all their birthdays have come at once. All the bugs, worms, snails etc have been disturbed and have come to thr surface only to be quickly gobbled up - ugh :vom:

Hiya - that was one lucky snail! Maybe he wasn't meaty enough for them yet, let him grow a bit!

What lovely pictures! Love your hens. I know the gingernut, but what breed is the other? Beautiful markings. I've also noticed that you use shredded paper in the nest. what a good idea & I have loads of shredding! Do they like it and is it safe to use with all the ink on? Might give it a try if reassured.

My girls aren't so good at sharing the nest box! :roll:

Emma.x

Hiya - that was one lucky snail! Maybe he wasn't meaty enough for them yet, let him grow a bit!

What lovely pictures! Love your hens. I know the gingernut, but what breed is the other? Beautiful markings. I've also noticed that you use shredded paper in the nest. what a good idea & I have loads of shredding! Do they like it and is it safe to use with all the ink on? Might give it a try if reassured.

My girls aren't so good at sharing the nest box! :roll:

Emma.x

Bella is a Gold Campine. The breeder thought she may not be as suitable for a family garden as they can be quite flighty. But she stands her ground against the bigger gingernuts; lets the kids carry her round; lays an immaculate white egg every day and the most flying she does is to attempt to hop over a 2' piece of chicken wire into my flower bed :lol:

Mine don't eat the paper, they kick it out of the nest and practice worm attacks on it. It's easy to scoop out with one hand and chuck in the compost every day - and free to replace! :D

I love that one of Pom and Bella together! :D

I know, I can just imagine the conversation .....

"Excuse me, but I was here first..."

"Yes but would you please get a move on and let someone else take a turn"

"Are you accusing me of dawdling?"

"Well you have been sat there for an hour dear, do get on with it!"

:D:D