grracee

Best food for rabbits?

At the moment I am feeding wagg mix to my bunnies and i've noticed that a couple of them have started to become abit picky. What is the best food to feed them, pellets? I have alot of the mix left so will use that first but hoping to change them soon. Any suggestions welcome :)

I've always feed bunnnies Rabbit pellets as I've heard that nutritionally they're better for them having all the nutrients in the pellet and that way the bunny can't be selective about what it will and won't eat. We just got our new bunny at the weekend :dance: - he's lovely - and the breeder recommended Dodson and Horell pellets. He seems to really like them and I've been able to source them locally in a Scats store. £8.95 for a 20kg bag, much cheaper than pellets from local pet stores :D .

Take a look a this, I have had rabbit for over 30yrs now, I will ONLY feed the best for their health.

Rabbits i have had from young only ever have to have their teeth rasped as they start To age (6yrs onward) this

is because of a good balanced diet.

I feed Timothy hay, Oxbow Bunny basic T and lots of dark green veg.

http://www.bunnieseatgrass.com/dentaldisease%20of%20bunnies.htm

The vet on Animal Madness Ch 4 last night said that in his opinion rabbits should eat grass, grass and grass with a side order of grass and a garnish of hay, in order to wear their teeth down, and keep them busy.

That's what my vet says, plus an egg cup full of pellets.

I've just changed mine over to Oxbow Bunny Basics/T as it has a very high fibre content, they have a little eggcup full each in the evening, A variety of veg in the morning (such as carrot tops, spring green, parsley, corriander, broccoli) and unlimited hay and grass the rest of the time.

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1536

:)

The vet on Animal Madness Ch 4 last night said that in his opinion rabbits should eat grass, grass and grass with a side order of grass and a garnish of hay, in order to wear their teeth down, and keep them busy.

That's what my vet says too. My bun, Azzie has always had just a few pellets and then has grass and hay the rest of the time with the odd bit of veg.

Despite all that, he still has to have his front teeth burred every month. The vet says he has congenital malocclusion due to poor breeding, and there is nothing we could do differently to have avoided his problems. :(

He's a lovely bunny though, and we love him to bits despite the cost.

That's what my vet says too. My bun, Azzie has always had just a few pellets and then has grass and hay the rest of the time with the odd bit of veg.

Despite all that, he still has to have his front teeth burred every month. The vet says he has congenital malocclusion due to poor breeding, and there is nothing we could do differently to have avoided his problems. :(

He's a lovely bunny though, and we love him to bits despite the cost.

when we had our last, free-range rabbits Pepsi and Ben who lived wild and slept in the logpile, one of them ended up having his teeth out to get over this problem. he lived on for a good while, just eating grass and the odd carrot til the logpile caught fire and he very sadly perished.

I've always feed bunnnies Rabbit pellets as I've heard that nutritionally they're better for them having all the nutrients in the pellet and that way the bunny can't be selective about what it will and won't eat. We just got our new bunny at the weekend :dance: - he's lovely - and the breeder recommended Dodson and Horell pellets. He seems to really like them and I've been able to source them locally in a Scats store. £8.95 for a 20kg bag, much cheaper than pellets from local pet stores :D .

Thanks, I've got a bag of Dodson and Horell pellets today for £8.50 a bag. Will start to slowly introduce them tomorow. :D

My Percy is on Supreme Selective pellets which means he gets all his goodness in the one pellet rather than giving him that cheap mixed feed you can buy where rabbits only pick out what they fancy.

He has Timothy hay fresh every day and a bowl of mixed greens, fresh herbs etc in the evening. :D