LisaP

Getting some ex-batts on Sunday!!!!

I'm very excited, finally got OH to agree to us getting some ex-batts and after applying at the weekend, I got a phone call from the BHWT this morning to confirm that I can have some.

We will be getting 3 from the Guildford rehoming session on Sunday. We will need to rebuild our cube (currently flat packed in the shed) and our 3 existing girls will move back into that and then the newbies will go into the eglu until they are ready to integrate with the others.

So happy, I can't wait, now have to think of some names :think:

Lisa P

I have been trying to get a pet for year my husband has used every allergy excuse for denying me one :cry: .

He couldn't think of one for chickens so with his grudging permission I got 3 ex-bats 3 weeks ago.

Yesterday I say him chicken watching, with 'I am very worried about Jilly, she isn't looking too good and moulting quite badly' and 'I think we should alter the possitions we put the food in'

Jilly is fine btw :wink:

Congrats! That's great news!

I cannot believe it but I am getting some too. I cannot believe how quick it is - I was expecting to wait for ages on a list. I'm a bit scared now - and excited too.

Can I ask, as you are in a similar area to me, where are you going to get your ex batt food from?

Thanks

Gertie, are you going to the Guildford one too? If you are, our collection time is 2.00pm. With regard to the food, I've ordered a small bag from Flyte so Fancy today just so that I have some ready. It was an expensive way of doing it but I'm not sure if the usual place I get the food from (tack shop in Wokingham) stocks the ex-batt one and I can't get there until Saturday so that would have been leaving it a bit late.

With regard to how I managed to persuade OH - simple answer is, I don't really know :lol: It's taken a while and to be honest, I had all but given up and you could have knocked me over with a feather when he said "oh if you must" :lol: No real technique, just would mention it every now and then :wink:

Our cube was used for about a year while we had 6 girls but then sadly we lost 3 over a few months, so we moved the remaining 3 back into the eglu and packed the cube away. So glad we've still got both cube and eglu because our 'cunning plan' is to move existing 3 into the cube and use the eglu with the run attached for the new girls.

By the way our children have decided that these new girls will be called Holly, Tilly and Lulu :D

Lisa P

Hi LisaP

Thanks for the info. (Nice names too). I'm going to check my local supplier when I can phone tomorrow, then if they don't stock it I will order some online somewhere. Yes, I am going to the Guilford collection too. I have not had the email with details yet, so thanks for that. I had my chat on the phone about 3pm. I wish it was earlier so I could have more time to watch them on Sunday!

Good luck with the preparations. I have just ordered another tarp for the inclement weather!

I've just found this stockist list which is v useful for me as there are several places nearby!

http://www.smallholderfeed.co.uk/Find-a-Stockist.aspx

Edited by Guest

Hi LisaP

Good luck with the collection tomorrow. Mine isn't until 3.30pm. I'm hoping that it will still be a bit light when I get home so I can see them :pray:. I've been preparing their new home all afternoon. I'm so excited but nervous too as I'm not sure how emotional this experience is going to be. I managed to get some ex batt crumb from my usual supplier so all sorted!

Regards

Hi Gertie,

Sorry only just seen this, still not getting notifications :?

We're all set now, spent all day yesterday rebuilding the cube and moved and cleaned out the eglu for the newbies :D

Three existing girls were not sure about living back in the cube and Willow changed her mind several times before finally going in. She kept getting to the door but would then run back down the ladder :lol:

Had a 5kg bag of chick crumb delivered and our usual supplier had a 20kg bag of ex-batt pellets yesterday.

We're going at 2.00pm and like you I'm excited but a little nervous too :anxious:

Hope all goes well for you too.

Lisa

Just got back with our 3 girls. From a very brief glance, as they went from the carrier into the eglu, all 3 have feather loss but one more so than the other two and I saw one very floppy comb :(

Put them straight into the eglu as the weather here today is revolting, so no photos as yet but I will post some as soon as I can :wink:

Hope all went well with yours Gertie.

Lisa P

Congrats on your new exbats :D

Look forward to seeing pics when you can and once they have settle down. Its so rewarding to give them a home and you will soon have them coming to you for treats. Its only been a week with mine and already have them coming to me. I cant stop thinking... they would be dead by now if hadnt taken them in. :?

Mine didnt go in the Go themselves the first & second night I had to put torch inside it and they walked towards the light.

Looking forward to updates on yours and Gerties too. :D

Hi All

My ex batts are now snug in their eglu. I managed to pick them up early. They are very bald, very pale and very very shell shocked from the looks of things. I have put some food in a plastic container in the nest area. I'm worried about the water though. They look terrified and I don't think they are going to be coming out of the eglu for a while. The water is at the door end of the eglu - as its a Classic I can't get it any nearer. Should I put water in the nest? I don't want them to get damp - but I don't want them to be thirsty either. Any tips gratefully received!

LisaP - collection went very smoothly thanks. Are you putting water in the nest for yours? If so how? They do have very big combs - I was prepared for that but not for how pale they are - they look like little ghostly skeletons! I'm also surprised by how small they are - three fitted in a medium cat box.

I forgot to tell you their names - Plucky, Squash and Liberty...I think you can guess why I chose those! Hope tomorrow is a good day for you and them.

Many thanks

Gertie I wouldn't advise putting food or water in the eglu at night - they will most likely step in it or tip it up and that will freak them out even more. Once they've settled down, they will go to sleep until it is light and not worry about food or water.

Just keep an eye on them and make sure they understand where the food is, where the water is etc. If they don't 'get' that water is in the glug or whatever container you're using try adding a water bottle designed for rabbits as that is similar to the nipple drinker they have been used to.

Don't worry, they're stressed and overwhelmed now and will be for a few days but they'll get used to things and realise they've landed on their claws :)

Good luck with yours. We too picked up 4 more girls this afternoon from Northampton. They managed to navigate their way into the eglu from the run on their own when it got dark (with a little bit of help from a torch left on inside it) and all seems well. They are as yet unnamed. Somehow we've got to 14 chickens.....

You'll be amazed how quickly they learn where the food is, so I would just open the door for them in the morning and you'll see they will slowly come out. It might take an hour or two but first one will come out and then the others will get brave - at least that's what's happened with my two lots of ex-bats.

I've never had a problem with them bullying one another over the food, but some have, so just make sure you have more than one food and water source available to them if that happens. But they'll soon learn to scratch around and do chickeny things. And they don't know what treats are so it's wonderful introducing them to sweetcorn etc - but only after they've had their fill of mash.

Thanks so much for all the help...you can tell I'm panicking a bit!

I didn't put any water in the nest in the end. I also have to eat my hat already. I went inside to do something and by the time I came out again I could see heads looking out of the eglu door. I watched from a distance then went to do something else. I came back out when it was almost dark and I could see that one of the hens was out exploring the run. I have to say I am amazed as they looked so terrified crammed into a corner that I was not expecting that. I just hope they find the food and water tomorrow! Patricia - thanks for the tips. I have put two feeders in just in case.

Good luck with yours Lydia, too!

Gertie, our 3 did the same as yours and came out of the eglu just as it was getting dark :roll: Myself and DD managed to get 2 to go into the eglu by shining a torch but the 3rd one just didn't understand, although luckily she stayed down at the food end so I was able to pick her up and put her in through the egg hatch :) It was then that I realised how very thin she is and she is the least feathered - I'll be keeping a special eye on her :anxious: Like yours they all have huge pale combs, 2 are floppy but one is quite upright and that is on the biggest girl, she is the best feathered but also seems to be a bit of a bully and grabbed one of the others by the comb several times. Someone found the grub because they managed to knock it off of the rails. Not sure about the water yet - it is in a more traditional conical shape dispenser at the moment because the glug is used by our other girls in the cube - they never did get on with the superglug :roll:

Thank you to everyone for the advice, I will post pics as soon as we manage to get some. By the way ours are called Holly, Tilly and Lulu. Lulu is the little tiny one, Holly is the big bully and Tilly is the one stuck in the middle :lol:

Lisa P

We got 3 perfect eggs this morning :D8)

I'd gone out to put more food and water bowls in the run and all 3 girls were in the eglu so I opened the egg hatch to check they were ok and was so excited when I saw one egg let alone 3 and they were all in the nest box :wink:

Our other 3 girls haven't managed one between them for the last 2 months due to moulting and 2 of them going off lay for the winter. Hence today's eggs are now nestled on the egg skelter with some shop bought ones. :roll:

Lisa P