Couperwife Posted November 19, 2010 Share Posted November 19, 2010 im going to an adult education centre type place to make a Christmas wreath next Saturday with my mum we had the list of what we had to bring with us posted today (me and mum both wondered what we had paid for - cos the list of what we had to bring was exceptional ) soooo, im making a wreath with chickens in it has anyone else ever made a wreath? or do most people buy them? im planning a step by step photo opportunity (and im going to wear Christmas stuff - just to freak the rest of the people out ) cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted November 19, 2010 Share Posted November 19, 2010 Sounds great Cathy! I've done them in the past - oasis with bits of holly stuck in it. The one I use at the moment is several years old and is made of wire coathangers bent into the circle shape and thickly wrapped with matt, green tinsel, a twirl of raffia with a raffia bow at the top and whatever surplus baubles I have after decorating the christmas tree! I love the idea of you terrifying everyone by dressing up! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 20, 2010 Share Posted November 20, 2010 It's probably the cost of the chickens Egluntyne posted about a class which set me off thinking. I'm cutting down a willow tree so am going to have a go with all the twigs but no idea how. You are going to have to share how you do the chickens. Good idea to use a coathanger wire as the base might try that. Cathy what is your idea of Christmas dressing, are you going as an elf or rudolph Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted November 20, 2010 Author Share Posted November 20, 2010 probably an elf I dont have a red nose at the moment (that might all chance if I get a cold next week ) cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted November 20, 2010 Share Posted November 20, 2010 I tend to make a wreath for the front door each Christmas, usually about the week before though as it's when I've finished term for christmas and it helps me get a bit more into the festive spirit-along with putting up the fairy lights in the porch! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted November 28, 2010 Author Share Posted November 28, 2010 the course was cancelled due to adverse weather conditions and the fact that the tutor couldn't get off her driveway. so, when I can safely drive to my mums house, we are going to make our own wreath the course will be fully refunded - yay. cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted November 29, 2010 Share Posted November 29, 2010 That's a shame Cathy. I'm sure you'll have fun with your Mum. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Sorry to hear your course was cancelled that's so disappointing when you have been looking forward to something for ages - but you'll have fun making a wreath with your mum in any case (in fact you might find you are able to be even more creative !)...let us see the photos when it's finished! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Miss Millies Chicken Posted December 13, 2010 Share Posted December 13, 2010 Decided to have a go at making my own wreaths this year. Spent yesterday morning in the garage and here are the results. Collected the green material for the wreaths from my garden or the woods. The ribbon, wire and silver hearts I had already. So apart from my time cost was nil. I am very pleased how they have turned out Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted December 13, 2010 Share Posted December 13, 2010 They look lovely I've had one of those twiggy wreaths for years - I liked it so much 'nude' that its been on the door permanently since I bought it:shock: But this year I decided to poke some garden greenery into it and it took me all of 10 minutes to make a more dressed article, that I can refresh when it looks a bit sad. I was amazed how easy it was. I haven't used any small baubles or tinsel or berries or ribbon but I can see it'll be easy to do that and get a new look next year. I can't believe I've got to my great age and not done it before Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted December 13, 2010 Share Posted December 13, 2010 I am in deep shock. I just popped into a florists in Henley,which had lovely wreaths all hung over the front of the shop,with whole dried oranges & Cinnamon sticks on them - really beautiful. THEY WERE £85 EACH!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted December 13, 2010 Share Posted December 13, 2010 Whoah! I bought a completely plain green foliage one for a tenner today, and plan to add a few garnishes such as cinnamon sticks and dried oranges etc for for a few quid. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted December 13, 2010 Share Posted December 13, 2010 Anyone local who wants to make a holly wreath...you are more than welcome to have some holly from our trees. Gosh - the wreaths on the Xmas market in Manchester seem very very cheap compared to one at £85! Are they made from gold leaves? Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted December 13, 2010 Share Posted December 13, 2010 £85 squid Sounds like a business opportunity to me! You could even do knitted ones for indoors - I've noticed a lot of knitted arty craft recently Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted December 14, 2010 Share Posted December 14, 2010 I noticed they were making wreaths on River Cottage last night. I have the metal ring, but no energy to make the wreath Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
freddie Posted December 14, 2010 Share Posted December 14, 2010 The wreath they made on River cottage seemed to miraculously just come together!! I watched Kirsty making them last yr(or the yr before\) and the lady who did hers made little bunches of whtever, then wired the little buches on, I tried that way last year, and it was a lot less painful(in the prickly sense, and I could use moer fragile stuff, as each small bunch was handld less £85!!!! I go down the road and raid the farmers hedge with my blunt secateurs (perhaps that's an Xmas idea to go with the rest!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted December 14, 2010 Share Posted December 14, 2010 The River Cottage one was beautiful though. Going the Farm Shop later to see what they have in for me to 'adapt'. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted December 17, 2010 Share Posted December 17, 2010 What a great thread. I went to a wreath making demo a few years ago, at Savill Garden. It wasn't a hands-on thing, but it the lady demonstrating was ver inspiring, and her wreaths were fantastic. I went home and made my first wreath that day, and I was so pleased with it. No where near as gorgeous as the Demonstrator's, but it was much easier than I expected. I've made a wreath every year since then, and I kaap an eye out for bits and pieces during the year. I have a decorations hamper (one designed originally to hold baubles) which is stuffed full of bits, and I also keep a tiny bottle of Yuletide oil in there. This means that when I unzip it each year, everythig smells Christmassy. I've just finished this year's wreath and have hung it on the door. I even managed to get some chickeny decorationss, andI I've got one of those in the middle. Here's a pic. This year I got some chickeny ornaments (thanks to an Omlet thread!) and I've put one in the middle. Here's a slight close up of it - looks better in real life. Would recommend wreath making (or a course on it) to anyone! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted December 17, 2010 Share Posted December 17, 2010 lovely And thank you - I can pinch your idea, I too have a tin chicken who would fit nicely on mine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted December 17, 2010 Share Posted December 17, 2010 My goodness - that is even more stunning than the River Cottage one! You're just too clever. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted December 17, 2010 Share Posted December 17, 2010 Thanks for your kind comments...I don't know what to say! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted December 19, 2010 Share Posted December 19, 2010 Here's mine. Not in Hazel's league, but I'm quite pleased with it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted December 19, 2010 Share Posted December 19, 2010 Thats lovely too - I love the bluey-grey of the foliage; it makes such a lovely contrast to the orangey tones Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted December 19, 2010 Share Posted December 19, 2010 That's still bloomin' good Egluntyne!! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted December 20, 2010 Share Posted December 20, 2010 THat's lpvely! I really like the dried fruit pieces. I bought mine, I might try making some next year (although I think I've said that every year) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...