Charlottechicken Posted January 22, 2011 Author Share Posted January 22, 2011 Ooh, glad people are getting to grips with this and sorting cupboards etc! I took the first three bags of 'stuff' to the charity shops yesterday, it felt good! Even better as I have a giftaid number so they get to claim the tax back on any money they make too! I'm targetting the living room this weekend! Happy sorting everyone! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted January 22, 2011 Share Posted January 22, 2011 Like Sadie, we're not allowed out to play in January - I'll be sorting out more cupboards in February, I can't wait!. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted January 23, 2011 Share Posted January 23, 2011 i've set myself a challenge today anyone fancy joining me????? its a 3 * 7 style fling the rule is you go into 3 rooms and in each room you fling 7 items. these could be either into another room cos they shouldn't be in the first room in the first place, or straight into a bin/recycling bag. any more than 7 items per room and you start to get omletpoints* *omletpoints aren't worth anything, but they are fun cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted January 23, 2011 Share Posted January 23, 2011 Can't believe how many bags DH has just taken to the tip and clothes bank That was only from our room and the airing cupboard as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted January 23, 2011 Share Posted January 23, 2011 Yes please, Cathy! I'm making good inroads today whilst I have some time set aside especially for decluttering, but just starting to flag. Logged on by mistake , I'll just have lunch then do the 3 x 7 with you. Thanks for the push! I am making sure I having empty, clean draining boards and sink first thing every day since starting this, then tackling the old clutter, a few extras every day. I would upload a pic or 2 but need to relearn what to do and that means computer time. I might do that one evening this week, I need to get decluttering while I have the chance, back later! Well done ClaireG and all, I do find this topic helpful. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted January 23, 2011 Share Posted January 23, 2011 ive just binned 15 items from my kitchen...they were all tins and plastic bottles that hadnt reached the recycling bag not even looked at another room yet cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted January 23, 2011 Share Posted January 23, 2011 Ooh can I join in please! I'll have to report back later, as I need to clean the chooks/tidy the garage/unload some firewood while it's daylight. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted January 23, 2011 Author Share Posted January 23, 2011 i've set myself a challenge today anyone fancy joining me????? its a 3 * 7 style fling the rule is you go into 3 rooms and in each room you fling 7 items. these could be either into another room cos they shouldn't be in the first room in the first place, or straight into a bin/recycling bag. any more than 7 items per room and you start to get omletpoints* *omletpoints aren't worth anything, but they are fun cathy x You won't believe this but I've been doing that all day! Took some stuff into the loft (a box of lovely Schloer bottles for use with elderflower fizz!), and brought down all the offcuts of flooring to use in the woodburner, and a bag of dirt from between the joists, to go in the bin. I went through a pile of post and free magazines in the kitchen this morning too, cutting coupons and entered a few competitions/sent for freebies. Now I'm sitting with a bin bag and wondering what else can go! Trouble is I've done 3 items in 7 rooms, is that allowed? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted January 23, 2011 Share Posted January 23, 2011 yep 3 items in 7 rooms is fabby cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted January 23, 2011 Share Posted January 23, 2011 I've got some new bed linen, so have been through the old stuff; took some sets to the charity shop and freegled a couple of flat sheets that were a tad thin in the middle but the rest was good for patchwork etc. Lovely old cotton sheets, so not letting them got to waste! Need to get Rosie to take a bin bag and shovel to her room, but she seems to prefer living in a pigsty. I did venture in earlier to liberate a few glasses into the washing up though Getting down to some paperwork and filing now, then some baking for the coming week. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sageandonion Posted January 24, 2011 Share Posted January 24, 2011 Just found this thread and would like to join in too please. I'd like to decorate more of the house this year, we've been here 4 years and have only got round to doing the lounge. I'm ashamed to say paint for the hall, stairs and landing has taken up residence in our garage for the last 2 years . Firstly I need to declutter big time. We too have bank statements etc going back years, I even have ones in my maiden name and we've been married 16+ years! The kids rooms need serious attention too - they won't throw anything away if they can help it and as far as their concerned the bedroom floor is a wardrobe/chest of drawers/bookcase in one until I throw a major wobbler . Off to have a look at the flylady website, will make a list of useful tips and ease myself in gently. Happy de-cluttering everyone . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted January 24, 2011 Share Posted January 24, 2011 Welcome aboard, fellow declutterer, I find it really helps sharing the experience and I hope you do too. This is the first time in 35 years that I've set aside specific decluttering time, and I'm enjoying it! I tear up old bank statements into the compost bin, then add the contents of the droppings trays. Because I have a mammoth task and need to be ruthless, but am scared of being hasty and regretting an action, I do put undecdided items in a box for a fortnight, then revisit to make a rational decision. Good luck everyone. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted January 24, 2011 Share Posted January 24, 2011 I didn't manage 3*7 yesterday, but in my defence I was busy all day cutting wood, cleaning hens etc - and I have thrown out quite a lot of stuff since the beginning of January. I find a few questions are helpful when I'm sorting through stuff - - Does it make me smile? - Have I used it/worn it in the last year? - Could I get another one if I really needed to? - How likely is it that I will actually use this? (applies particularly to things like decorative tins that would be useful to hold something (what?), old clothes saved for doing the painting in, free sachets of moisturiser and the like) - Will X ever know that I didn't keep it? (unwanted gifts, especially ornaments, given by someone you like) - Would it make someone else's day to find this in the charity shop? Not perfect but it helps me to move things on! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted January 26, 2011 Share Posted January 26, 2011 OK, I had a refurb'd Cube delivered yesterday , so have 5 ENORMOUS boxes filling my kitchen. Said Cube HAS to go in the garage for the time being. I therefore MUST clear some space in said garage so Cube can actually fit in there. I absolutely MUST MUST MUST do this tomorrow (I have a day off from work) so am aiming just to clear space in one section of the garage, just so the boxes can go in. I am hoping this will mean that I can allocate stuff to go to the tip for recycling (I'm hoping it's mostly empty boxes/bags/packaging/general rubbish). What do you think are the chances that I will actually be able to do this? I fear I will simply open the garage door and close it rapidly when I see the mountain that must be climbed. I only moved in less than three years ago, but there are still boxes in there I have not unpacked from the move (tempting to take those boxes to the charity shop, unopened, as I have no idea what is in them now). At my other house, I could actually get my car in the garage, no chance of that now!! Having told you guys I'm going to do it, I'll just HAVE to do it, won't I? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted January 26, 2011 Share Posted January 26, 2011 i've set myself a challenge today anyone fancy joining me????? its a 3 * 7 style fling the rule is you go into 3 rooms and in each room you fling 7 items. these could be either into another room cos they shouldn't be in the first room in the first place, or straight into a bin/recycling bag. any more than 7 items per room and you start to get omletpoints* *omletpoints aren't worth anything, but they are fun cathy x I shall join you, Sunday will be my fling day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted January 26, 2011 Share Posted January 26, 2011 Bramble, take it one bit at a time. dont look at the whole garage, you will have a nervous breakdown and walk away then eat a packet of chocolate chip cookies and a frozen sarah lee chocolate fudge cake straight from the freezer!! (ok, this might be a bit extreme, but you know what I mean!! ) so, pick each piece up and decide what you are doing with it...after (for example) 5 pieces have a rest, cut of tea, walk about, or what ever, then go back for the next 5. good luck!!! cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted January 26, 2011 Share Posted January 26, 2011 Re boxes in the garage, you might find what we did when we opened some. Flaming mice had made nests, eaten and pooed all over everything so stuff just had to be thrown out At the time I was really upset as a lot of it was boxes of books and toys from my childhood that DH had said would be OK in there We seem to be going along slowly with it. This weekend I've only burnt 3 years of DH's payslips that he was already supposed to have shredded burnt bank statements and DH has sorted out some of his wardrobe so I've another bag for the charity shop. Apparently we're going to be sorting out our loft soon which houses our Simpsons memorabilia collection. This is from 6 years ago showing a very, very, very small amount of what we have. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted January 26, 2011 Share Posted January 26, 2011 oh my word...its Simpson land thats fab, must have taken you years to collect that lot cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted January 26, 2011 Share Posted January 26, 2011 oh my word...its Simpson land thats fab, must have taken you years to collect that lot cathy x Perhaps I should take some new pics of the other sides We really need to add extra insulation to the loft but apart from having to take out all the boarding so we could do it, we'd have to find room for the Simpsonalia to go. It would fill our bedroom I'm sure Has taken a few years but we haven't bought anything for a while. Last time we went to the states we brought back 3 cases full of Simpsons stuff Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted January 26, 2011 Share Posted January 26, 2011 Wow, that's some collection! Still not managed the 3*7 ... I'll get there eventually. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted January 26, 2011 Share Posted January 26, 2011 Wow to the Simpson's Shrine! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sageandonion Posted January 26, 2011 Share Posted January 26, 2011 Wow from me too - that Simpson's collection is seriously impressive . Was going to post about my efforts today with my kitchen cupboards, but a certain little person over my shoulder is anxious to get back to admiring Homer et al ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted January 26, 2011 Share Posted January 26, 2011 Completely derailing the thread but just found a pic of some of what we brought back from the USA last trip. Promise I'll post any other ones in a new thread or Mods could split it now if they'd prefer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted January 27, 2011 Share Posted January 27, 2011 Well, I think I'm quite pleased with operation garage. It's absolutely freezing out there so almost didn't bother, but thought I'd give it a go ... and I'm just back from taking a boot full of stuff to the tip and charity shop There's still a lot to do in there but at least I can see the floor now and can get the cube boxes in. Small steps dear fellow de-clutterers, small steps! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted January 27, 2011 Share Posted January 27, 2011 Well done - hold on to that good feeling, and remind yourself of it when you start tackling it again! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...