bluekarin

Rescue Cat - UPDATE!

We are looking at getting a rescue kitty for Mr YoYo as he is looking very sad an lonely now Mr Oliver is no longer with us. I have found one (and a couple of cats we'd love to give a home to) but it is about an hours drive away. Which is not a problem for us but when I spoke to the lady yesterday she seems a bit dubious about travelling that far to do a home visit :( She is Googling our address to see if the area is suitable and then letting me know. Does anyone know of any around the south Wilts area? I have looked at RSPCA, Blue Cross and Cats protection. Its really difficult trying to find info on any smaller charities that do this.

And while I'm here, do rescue charities normally tell you if you get a rescue kitty, that you need to keep them in at night, just in case they got run over or stolen?

Edited by Guest

I can't help with rescue centres in your area but I know when I got my last cat from CPL they mentioned about keeping them in at night (I try to do that anyway as it is the most dangerous time for cats). They also phoned up after I'd had him a while to check he was okay and then when a cat got run over near me some months later they contacted me again to check it wasn't him (it wasn't). Quite nice really that they really want to make sure the cats are getting a good home.

Good luck with your search.

Its hard I know getting a replacement pet esp if you have one already. We are having the same probs getting a bunny for Bracken our elderly bun. We want an older female but all there is males and youngsters. I found a site which did bunnies - but covered other areas a car drive away - not sure if there is a cat equivalent will try and look and find. Might of been pdsa or something. Bluekarin - your avatar is that your cat who died? What a handsome fella and what a tail. Hope you find somebody soon - local papers sometimes have pet sections or what about a kitten or is your other pussy too old?

Hi Bluekarin

How about asking "The Birman Cat Club Welfare and Rescue"? If you ring 01785 - 251609 they probably have a puss who needs a home. There's nothing listed on their website at the moment, but it's worth a phone call. Sometimes they even have kittens!

You guessed it, we have two rescue Birmans. We had a home visit done by the Club mainly - I think - to check the road traffic. They advised keeping the cats in at dusk as they are such gentle natured cats a normal moggie (like our dear departed cat) would knock them about in a fight.

Worth a call if you end up with a wonderful puss like ours! Well done you for rescuing a puss! :)

We had found two we wanted and either would have been purrfect :lol: but it was an hours drive away and the woman's husband wasn't willing to drive her here to do the initial home visit. It is really sad as she still has them both :( I then found a 10 week old kitten, but someone else has taken an interest in him, which is not surprising as he is the most gorgeous looking spiky fluffy kitty. There was one in our local paper which sounded good too, and he must have been as he went quickly. I am now waiting to hear about some which are local to us and are a home from home adoption through the Cats Protection league. Initially I had ruled them out as I was after a silver tabby, but they are as rare as hens teeth, so I am having more of an open mind. But I shall let you all know if and when we do get one :D

Well........we went to see Gizmo today and she is gorgeous! She's just been spayed, so has a shaven side, but she is so friendly and playful. She didn't hiss at us, and she came and sniffed my hubby's shoes and licked mine and the kids hands and she has such a teeny little soft tongue. I could have taken her right there and then, but she needs to have a check-up on Monday and if that's okay, we can have her :dance::dance: There was another couple due to see her tomorrow, but Gizmo would be an only pet and the couples kids were much older and she really needs to be played with. I can't wait. I only hope the other couple are okay about not having her and we don't get a phone call saying that we can't have her :anxious:

Oh, and when we got home, Mr YoYo sniffed our hands quite thoroughly and didn't hiss, or run away, which I took to be a good sign :pray:

Come on Monday!!

Well, we brought home Miss Gizmo this evening. She is ador-a-bubble. We left her in our bedroom with the door shut for a while, and when I went in the check, she was no where to been seen. Until I looked under the bed and saw a tail swaying about. She then came closer to me, meewed, and came out to say hello. She's had a bit of food, and bit of a play with her fave toy which she brought here with her. What has made my day was her coming and sitting on me, all stretched out, with her paws just under my chin :dance: She is very wary of all sounds. Mr YoYo has had a listen at the door to her meowing and I have the cat carrier in the living room for him to smell, as and when he wishes. I shall post some photos when I get to take some as she keeps hiding under the bed when unsure.

We have started letting Miss Gizmo out of our bedroom during the daytime now. I'm a bit worried about her escaping and have to lock or block the cat flap. Hubby had to pop out to fix a fence panel that had got blown down by the wind and he had a lot of fun (?) trying to catch her as she leapt from room to room. I think she thought it was all a big game of chase :lol: There was quite a bit of hissing (YoYo) and meowing (Gizzy) last night, but no actual fighting which we took to be a good thing. They are currently sleeping upstairs on two the kids beds, which are in different rooms, but are next to each other. I hope they will eventually get to like each other, as we did get her for him as a companion.