tracyann

Newbie to the forum

Hi all, my name is Tracy and I'm new to the forum. I always had chickens as a child, we were brought up always having chickens around, ducks and a chinese goose (who was a gander) called Scruffy who lived to the ripe old age of 26. We haven't had any chickens for the past 20 years (at least). I'm now growing my own veg and want to get four chickens.

I'm looking at getting some hybrid hens and have been looking at the Comet variety. Can anyone shed any light on these as to what cross they are.

I'm guessing poultry keeping has moved on slightly from when I last owned chickens and would like to make some "chicken" friends on here.

I'm based in Stapleford Abbotts near Romford, Essex.

I'm 39, am a full time carer for my parents - I gave up a full time job as a medical secretary and now run a business from home but gardening is a new found hobby for me, started with the flower garden 2 years ago, last year had a successful veg patch in raised beds and now I want chickens.

I plan on having an outside run for them in the daytime and an inside run in our garage (which isn't used for cars and stands empty) at night as we have a few foxes and its the only way to keep the girls safe at night.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Tracy

xxxx

Hi Tracey and welcome to the forum :D .

You mention "comet" chickens, are they Golden Comets? If so I believe they are across between a New Hampshire rooster with a White Rock hen, very similar to the Isa Browns which are also a hybrid. If you google Golden Comet chickens I'm sure you will find some info :D .

You mention "comet" chickens, are they Golden Comets? If so I believe they are across between a New Hampshire rooster with a White Rock hen, very similar to the Isa Browns which are also a hybrid. If you google Golden Comet chickens I'm sure you will find some info :D .

Oo never heard of 'comets'.

Hi Tracyann, welcome to the forum. My parents had chickens too but I'm new to having my own. I've learnt so much thanks to this forum. What chickens are you planning on getting?

Hi thanks for your kind welcome. I'm looking at getting 1 x Black Comet, 1 x Sussex Comet, 1 x Golden Rocket and 1 x Speckled Rock.

Going to look at some next Tuesday.

Love

Tracy

xxx

Oo never heard of 'comets'.

Have a look:-

http://www.essexchickens.co.uk

and go to the Hybrid section.

Tracy

xxx

Hello tracyann. If you want chickeny friends you have certainly come to the right place. I just love the warmth of the people on this forum and have learnt so much from everyone both about hens . . . and about forums too :D

Your hens will be super lucky to have both outside and inside accomodation. All of us who have chooks who queue up at the door to be let in should cover our chooks' ears and eyes :wink:

Hello tracyann. If you want chickeny friends you have certainly come to the right place. I just love the warmth of the people on this forum and have learnt so much from everyone both about hens . . . and about forums too :D

Your hens will be super lucky to have both outside and inside accomodation. All of us who have chooks who queue up at the door to be let in should cover our chooks' ears and eyes :wink:

Ah bless, I hope so. I hope the hens will be happy. Its not by choice really, I'd like them to be outside all the time, but we just have too many foxes. We lost all our last chickens and ducks through foxes and I don't want to loose them.

Tracy

xx

the black commet looks like a black rock,rhode rock,black star type hybrid which are a rhode island red ,bared plymouth rock cross

the blue comet looks like a bluebelle,blue ranger type hybrid which is in the case of the bluebelle a maran hybrid not sure what else through

I visited the wesbite - they look to be a nice variety for you. When are you planning on getting them?

Hi, going to look next Tuesday, to see what they are like and how they are kept, but not looking to buy just yet, got to get coups and bedding etc organised first.

the black commet looks like a black rock,rhode rock,black star type hybrid which are a rhode island red ,bared plymouth rock cross

the blue comet looks like a bluebelle,blue ranger type hybrid which is in the case of the bluebelle a maran hybrid not sure what else through

Thats what I thought to be honest with you, I will find out on Tuesday (next week) as I've got a list of questions to ask!

Tracy

Hello Tracyann! smiley-greet025.gif

There are so many lovely people on this forum who'll be able to give you so much advice and encouragement. Occasionally we also arrange the odd meet up. I've only managed one :oops: but it was great. I met up with quickcluck (and her OH) and Nicola O (taking my chook-owning mother too) and had a lovely chicken-chat at Battlesbridge tea room (Great view) after a little look at some chickens and an an eglu go for sale at the battlesbridge garden centre. There are quite a few of us from Essex and although I don't own an eglu (doesn't matter on this forum as the advice is great) there is bound to someone who'll let you look at their set-up if you fancied it. Plus it's a great excuse for a chicken cuddle.

By the way... we all love photos! :wink: