Seagazer

Worried about Sophie

Sophie is my nearly 13 year old tabby and she was diagnosed with hyper-thyroid disease last June. She's been on meds since then (although I believe too high a dose was started to begin with). :roll:

On Thursday she came downstairs to sit on my ES and we noticed that her tail was completely limp, she's very expressive with her tail so it was strange. She seemed really uncomfortable with her back end so I managed to get an appointment with the vet for an hour later. She at first thought that Sophie had been hit by a car but couldn't feel any breaks. She also checked her over for bites in case the tail was infected. Her temperature was normal so it was thought not to be that. She has got feeling in it. Poor Sophie's back legs when moved were quite painful.

The vet wasn't sure what is wrong so gave her a jab of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. She couldn't do too big a dose because of the thyroid medicine apparently. Well the jabs have obviously worn off as Sophie seems to be getting a bit wobbly on her back legs. She's on my son's bed at the moment and he said that she just flopped over but can't get her back end comfortable.

I am really worried that there is something seriously wrong with her but also wonder if it is just that she's old now and a bit like me has some achy joints.

I'm going to see what she's like later tonight - when she normally comes downstairs to sit on my lap. I think it may be another visit to the vets tomorrow.

She's the oldest cat I've ever had and I can't remember what the old cat we had at home was like in her later years.

These pets really do tug at your heart strings don't they. I sat in the kitchen with her last night whilst she ate a little food and I was in tears about her.

Sorry about the long post :(

Thanks everyone. We took her back up this morning to the vets, saw a different one today, the main man. He's given her another injection. She really moaned at him when he touched her tail.

I've got to take her back in tomorrow to have an x-ray in case she's damaged her tail. They will also re-do her thyroid blood tests.

Poor thing had an accident in the cat basket on the way home so she had to have a quick sloosh in the sink.

I don't know what to do with Dave and Cookie though as they just will not leave her alone, every time she comes down one or the other hassles her. :?

The vet did think that she looks in pretty good condition apart from the back end though, so thats one good thing.

Sorry to hear about Sophie. Has your vet checked for saddle thrombus? - one of my cats developed this in old age and originally the vet thought he had fallen from a height as he had a similar reaction in his back legs to the way you have described Sophie.

Eggasperated - I've never heard of this before. I'm so sorry, did he recover? My vet doesn't ever really say what he's checking for, I think he always thinks he doesn't need to tell me. I've not felt that Sophie's legs are cold but will certainly check when she comes back in, she's gone out for a pit stop I think.

I'm actually getting to the point of changing my vet I think. Luckily I had my hubby with me this morning because with the main vet I always think he thinks I'm a neurotic pet owner :roll: . I had a devil of a job getting Sophie's full blood results (from when she was diagnosed with thyroid disease to now) told to me this week (I've been on a Hyperthyroid cat forum and they wanted to know). She's my cat, I've paid for the blood tests so why can't I know all the numbers??? Okay I am beginning to sound like a neurotic pet owner now :wink::roll:

Sorry to hear about Sophie, you are not a neurotic pet owner! Whenever I took Lily to the vets for a blood test they always told me what her thyroxine level was and what it should be, and whether the felimazole was working. I used to take her to the vets at the Oval, but I didn't buy the felimazole from them as it was really expensive especially once she was on 2 different strength tablets a day so I used to pay for a copy of the prescription and get it from an online pharmacy, six months worth at a time once the dosage was sorted out.

On to Sophie's other problem could it be arthritis? Although I don't think that would explain the tail, one of my old cats Jasmin got arthritis in her hips and used to have hydrocortisone injections, when she was due a jab we would notice as she didn't move very well and would lash out if you dared to stroke her hindquarters.

I wouldn't have thought it was to do with her age, I've lost cats a few weeks short of their 18th, 19th & 20th birthdays and apart from Jasmin & Lily none of the others had any obvious health problems.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, perhaps if you've lost faith in your vet and the way that they treat you it may be time to change. I hope you get Sophie sorted out soon.

Eggasperated - I've never heard of this before. I'm so sorry, did he recover? My vet doesn't ever really say what he's checking for, I think he always thinks he doesn't need to tell me. I've not felt that Sophie's legs are cold but will certainly check when she comes back in, she's gone out for a pit stop I think.

I'm actually getting to the point of changing my vet I think. Luckily I had my hubby with me this morning because with the main vet I always think he thinks I'm a neurotic pet owner :roll: . I had a devil of a job getting Sophie's full blood results (from when she was diagnosed with thyroid disease to now) told to me this week (I've been on a Hyperthyroid cat forum and they wanted to know). She's my cat, I've paid for the blood tests so why can't I know all the numbers??? Okay I am beginning to sound like a neurotic pet owner now :wink::roll:

Unfortunately my cat got steadily worse over a couple of months and eventually was unable to empty his bladder so had to be PTS, however he was a rescue cat that had an unhappy start to his life. I'd never heard of saddle thrombus before but my vet was very good at explaining everything. You are paying for a service and your vet should respect how you feel about your pets (and be pleased that you are someone who cares).

I do hope you get Sophie diagnosed soon and that she starts to feel better.

Sending gentle strokes to Sophie and hugs to you, it is horrible when pets are unwell.

Ziggy had a very droopy tail and sore back end a year or so ago, again she is very expressive with her tail normally. Our vet thought that she had probably had a fight with another cat that had grabbed her tail and it had been pulled very hard which had bruised the whole area. It took a couple of months for her to regain full use of it, but she is as good as new now. Hopefully there is a simple explaination and Sophie will get better soon with painkillers and TLC.

Any news - hope its something simple like that described above. Our ginger cat quivers his tail - the vet nurse asked it he always did that when we saw him after his op. I replied he did panic setting in - and she said some cats do and just wondered if he always did. Worry guts here . Have had a bad month pet wise with cat with broken hip and a rabbit dying. Hope Sophie is ok keep us posted.

As ever they won't say much over the phone, just that she's still groggy from the anaesthetic for the x-ray. I'll take this as good news as I would have thought they'd have phoned to say if they were going to do anything.

I'm out (at the theatre, so can't get out of it) tonight so my ES is going to pick her up for me. I explained this to the nurse and she laughed and said she'd get the vet to write everything down as well as chatting to ES as the likelyhood of him remembering anything isn't very good. :roll::D

As I drove away from the vets this morning that's when I remembered the night out, typical really. :roll:

how is she doing?, my old cat Tiggy is 23 now and has been getting poorly recently, nothing specific just old age, but it's heart breaking. My other one Smudge died age 19 had hyperthyroid too apparently its very common in cats, she survived for 3 years on tablets with it. I hope Sophie is OK

Ok typing this halfway through 2nd glass of vino with my dinner in Shaftesbury avenue. News from vet is that it's soft tissue damage - phew! Take her back in couple of weeks if no better. Can't say how relieved I am! Really thought it was going to be beginning of the end! Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm sure my ES is giving her a lovely cuddle as we speak.