MadAboutChooks

Rescue Chickens!

So excited! just reserved 3 ex batts that I am going to collect 3.30 on Saturday!! yehhhh soo excited...

This is my first experience of battery hens, and I am a little nervous. I intend on eventually introducing to my other 5 hooligans in the WIR ( partition with door being made for intro's/broody pen). But have just been out setting up the eglu on the patio as a initial home. How long do you think it will take before they are well/strong enough to start intro's are we talking weeks or months? and what about free ranging, oh yes and will they have been wormed? is that something they have to do in the battery farms or should I worm them straight away? Help always appreciated. :oops:

I was advised to keep my separate for about 6 weeks as I have a cockerel so their bones can get strong enough. Otherwise I think it was about 3 weeks. I let them free range ( separated from the others ) after about a week, although they were still entranced by all the space they had in the run!

Mine didn't know what treats were, but slowly they ventured to try mixed corn, sweetcorn, cabbage - and are now voracious and mug me if I have a bag or bowl in my hand!

If you're getting your hens from BHWT they will give you helpful leaflets when you pick them up and they have a help line too.

It will depend on their condition when you collect them - some are weaker than others, so will need longer to build up strength. I have had 2 lots of ex batts, both quite threadbare when I got them, and I waited 6 - 8 weeks before introducing them. They free ranged after about a week. I don't think you will need to worm them until they have been FRing. Good luck, you will love them!

Congrats. They are really sweet. I got mine mid November. They were quite bald. They are doing well and have almost got all the feathers back. I've just started phase 1 of intros - putting the runs next to each other. That seems fine.they don't seem bothered by each other. I wanted to wait for a while to let them get their strength as I have a cube with ladder. Also, I wanted them to be feathered so they don't suffer the pecking on bald skin when they meet the others!!

I wormed them after a month, give them lifeguard tonic in the water daily. I have nutridrops on hand incase they go downhill. I also give them ex batt crumb (just weaning them onto pellets now), and I give them mealworms each evening to help with extra protein. Planning to move them in in April.