Alis girls

Police in Primary schools

YS of 9 goes to a C/E school with a reasonable reputuation but not without its troubles - in recent years it has taken its share of "difficult" kids. Yesterday the police came in and talked about internet safety. I suppose i should be pleased that YS is respectful of the law but it seemed to spook him as he had lost a password on a site he goes on and he got really upset. Also I was a bit concernd to hear communty police had finger printed them in the past to show what it was like - these prints wer supposedly given to the kids to keep - never saw them - is he in the system somewhere? We are never told when the police are coming in - what do other parents think?

No, the prints wouldn't have been kept by the police, they just do the kiddies' fingers for fun and give them the prints. Our local team has a programme where the PCSOs go into schools to talk to them about things like stranger danger, keeping safe, and later on they talk to them about drugs. It's part of the PHSE programme at our schools here.

I think Internet Safety is a really important thing to learn, and something not all parents (excluding all those on here I am sure!) are that savvy with, as it was just not around when they were growing up. I know my neice had to learn a few lessons recently - it's very hard for children to appreciate how anything they post up on the internet (esp Facebook) could be seen by millions - especially when they accept any "friend" request, to boost their numbers :wall: .

I doubt very much the finger prints would be on any record anywhere - dropped, in a bin, in a puddle, in the back of the car somewhere maybe, but not on record.

Personally - I think it's a good thing. Police are there to help, and as they are not the usual teacher/parent telling what to do, they can often get children to listen to and accept things that the teacher/parent can't.

We've invited PCSO's in to talk to cub scouts in the past. TBH I never occurred to me that might concern parents :shock: We do it as part of the community aspects of the program and the kids enjoy the visits. We've also invited an elderly neighbour who was the village bobby in the 50's as contrast :lol:

he was scared at having wiped off a password or something - I think he has a guitly conscience bit like his mom if I see a policeman I feel all my guilty secrets are coming out. i welcome the fact they are coming into the schools but cant help wishing they would a bit more time on the streets looking for child pervs who seem to be propersitioning kids - its on the increase round here. A policeman friend had said we would be shocked how many lived in the area. ES was approached by a guy the other day - my sons big and told him politely to get lost :clap: several other kids have had probs - luckily non have been snatched.

When the community officers went into my son's school and asked why they should never take drugs, my son replied that the reason for him was that his Mum would break every bone in his body. Nice! When the policeman asked if he thought that I really would do this, my son said that although he thought I was speaking metaphorically, they would have to take him into custody for his own safety. Don't you love children.

:roll:

Just to reiterate, the prints would NOT have been kept anywhere, they wouldn't be any good for anything anyway to be honest. And even though I am one, I always feel guilty if there's a police car behind me too!! I spend so much time worrying I might be speeding, or have done something wrong I drive like an idiot, it's a wonder I don't get stopped for careless driving!! :lol:

BeckyBoo

When the community officers went into my son's school and asked why they should never take drugs, my son replied that the reason for him was that his Mum would break every bone in his body. Nice! When the policeman asked if he thought that I really would do this, my son said that although he thought I was speaking metaphorically, they would have to take him into custody for his own safety. Don't you love children.

:roll:

Sorry but :lol: Brilliant! You got your message well and truly hammered home :lol:

My kids had police go to their school for assembly's and school summer fair. I think its really important for kids to see them not only as an authority figure, but also as someone safe to go to. It is odd they didn't give your son his copy of his finger prints. I have mine from when I was about 9 or ten and I have my kids ones, on my wall above my computer. But as others have said, don't worry, they won't be keeping them. If you are worried phone up the police station where they came from and ask. Just to put your mind at rest.

Years ago(many years indeed Dixon of Dock Green) our school was burnt down and the whole secondary school had to go into a main hall(yes a bit was left) and get our prints done and individually be questioned. I must have been about 13 years and I still remember giggling with my mates to go to the most good looking policeman we could spot.

We then got our prints done. Obviously our parents all got a letter about it all.

Never occurred to me until reading this that I am probably already held on file.But hey I really dont mind and if it helps the police catch the baddies thats fine with me. I am happy to be stored on a national database, lets face it most of us are with tax and national insurance etc!

Yep I remember those police coming and telling us not to get into cars etc and I did get asked by a good looking young man that told me my mother said it was ok to get in(fortunately she was about 100yards behind me and I was about 6 years old) Guess who we phoned