Alma Posted March 20, 2011 Share Posted March 20, 2011 It's getting to that time of year again when I'm longing to buy loads of bedding plants and fill my garden Then I remember back to last year when they were all demolished by my girls within hours of planting and I had to resort to just a few hanging baskets Does anyone know of any bedding plants which may just survive the onslaught of a couple of chooks? I'd be very grateful............ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted March 20, 2011 Share Posted March 20, 2011 The short answer is no.. Let me know if you find any Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henergy Posted March 20, 2011 Share Posted March 20, 2011 The short answer is no.. Let me know if you find any Was wondering myself - will stop wondering ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted March 20, 2011 Share Posted March 20, 2011 I offered mine some begonias that were a bit leggy and they turned their noses up at them . So I happily planted them all around my garden knowing they were safe. Two days later they were all gone I think hanging baskets are the only way. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted March 20, 2011 Share Posted March 20, 2011 Netting is quite useful but even then don't bother planting salad leaves Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
eve Posted March 21, 2011 Share Posted March 21, 2011 ive just but strawberries in a hanging basket made a stand so 3yr old son can get them.so far ladies cant reach them. im going to restrict there free raging to afternoon when i can watch them as i want to plant veg in tubes Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickybaby Posted March 21, 2011 Share Posted March 21, 2011 I have managed to grow some plants in pots, ie geraniums, lilies, daffodils. I just have to make sure I cover the compost with a thick layer of stones, with no compost on view, otherwise they think it's their dustbath. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted March 21, 2011 Share Posted March 21, 2011 Trouble is bedding plants look so succulent. I think it'll be hanging baskets and window boxes for me this year The truth is I'm lousy at bedding plants so my chooks are my get out clause. Mine (bedding plants that is,not chooks) always get leggy or I forget to water them. Both I and my chooks are better off with lavender and you can get lots of different colours including pink and white as well as all shades of blue. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henergy Posted March 21, 2011 Share Posted March 21, 2011 Both I and my chooks are better off with lavender and you can get lots of different colours including pink and white as well as all shades of blue. Don't they like lavenders ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LeeMeadfan Posted March 21, 2011 Share Posted March 21, 2011 Hmmm....... Well I don't think my girls like lavender (to eat) but they'll certainly scratch and s"Ooops, word censored!"e round and I no longer have one of my lavender plants I had! Having said that it was a small one and had only been planted a few months. Mine have a habit of pecking off the purple crocus heads - they don't eat them just chuck them round the garden! We have some borders that are covered in small stones - these they 'have' to scratch to get to soil underneath - still I suppose it's good exercise sweeping up every evening On a more positive note they are good at 'raking' the veg. patch, although once the veggies get planted I need a plan to keep them off it! (that'll be a fence then! Though we tried that last year & they hopped over it - but it wasn't very high) I read in a book that a small fence tended to prevent them but obviously my girls hadn't read that book Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted March 22, 2011 Share Posted March 22, 2011 On a more positive note they are good at 'raking' the veg. patch, although once the veggies get planted I need a plan to keep them off it! (that'll be a fence then! Though we tried that last year & they hopped over it - but it wasn't very high) I read in a book that a small fence tended to prevent them but obviously my girls hadn't read that book I've been using low box hedging (which luckily I had from before I had chooks) and that works for my Silkies. It didn't work however for my Wyandottes who seem even worse at flying than my Silkies. They'd take off on one side and crash-land slap bang in the middle, spraying bits of broken off box hedging on both sides. End of box hedging We also tried little wicker fences. Very pretty but did not last five minutes as my chooks would balance on the top and wobble back and forth till the fence was broken Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...