loumabel

Broken Beak Help Please!!!!

one of my girls has broken the whole top beak off back to the nostrils. I discovered it yesterday and it was hanging off and has since dropped off all together, no idea how it happened!!. I have cleaned it as best I can and seperated her from the others as they were pecking her quite badly as it was bleeding a lot. It has scabbed over a little today and stopped bleeding but looks very sore and I am very worried she may not be able to eat. I have given her some layers mash mixed with water and she has been pecking it but not sure if much is going in, also gave a few meal worms which she seemed to be able to eat. I just wondered if anyone had ever had this problem and if her beak will grow back? she is only 5 months old so I really hope she can be saved :( . any advice would be much appreciated.

(cube green)(white chicken)(white chicken)PPGNRGNR(Bluebelle)

thanks for your replies and kind thoughts :) . I took her to the vets and he said it looks much scarier than it is and it does happen quite often, though not usually the whole beak and she should be ok. He used skin glue to seal the wound and has given me some metacam for her, he also said I should feed her mash from a deep bowl so she can scoop the food with her lower beak. crikey that was a bit scary for a moment, I am now worried about reintroducing her to the group in a couple of days as she is already at the bottom of the pecking order, I hope they won't bully her. :anxious:

(cube green)GNRPP(white chicken)(white chicken)(Bluebelle)PP

Hi Loumabel

I had exactly the same problem with Roxy, who last July, managed to snap the entire top part of her beak off when she caught her bumper bit on something, as you say, right up to her nostrils. It was awful, blood everywhere and I thought she wouldnt even survive the mad dash to the vets. They tried to glue it back on but to no avail and after an hour of surgery trying to save it, the vet removed it altogether. She spent some time recuperating in a separate run but next to the others and was integrated back with them a week or two later.

This was 10 months ago and she's been fine ever since, despite looking a bit odd if you're not used to it. At the time, the vet took her home himself for a day or two to make sure she could eat ok, otherwise there would have been no other option but to pts but he said she rallied round very quickly and found new ways to eat her food. I would not have considered saving her if it meant her quality of life would have been poor, despite her being my favourite (don't tell the others!).

To make sure she can eat, she needs deep filled food pots so she can pick up the pellets and has small food items ie. corn in a bowl with a piece of sponge at the bottom which she can push her bottom beak into to grab it. She can drink normally from either a gravity drinker or the glug (the open type, not nipple feeders).

All in all she manages very well and is thriving so I hope your girl will be the same. We just refer to her as our 'special needs' girl now!

Good luck.

PS. her beak has never grown back at all though.

Hi Dolly,

Thanks so much for telling me your story, it has really put my mind at rest. It is really good to hear that she can make a recovery and carry on as normal. I still have my girlie seperated but in view of the rest of the gang and she seems to be coping quite well with eating and drinking and she can certainly pick up her afternoon corn rations. Her beak has scabbed over really well and I was thinking about trying to reintroduce her back to the gang tomorrow during the day and maybe seperate her at night again. I think from what you have said her beak will probably not grow back but it is comforting to know that she will be able to manage without it. Thank you again for your advice it is much appreciated :D