WitchHazel

Falconry days - any recommendations?

My brother is 50 shortly, and I though I might get him a Falconry Day experience (or a half day).

I'm overwhelmed by the choice of vendors, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any personal recommendations.

We live in Berkshire, but would be happy to travel a reasonable distance. I'd like to make sure it includes plenty of hands-on experience, but I haven't any fixed ideas about whether his wife (who is petrified of birds) would accompany him as a spectator, or whether someone else (me, my DH or my other brother) would go with him and participate as well.

Any recommendations? Or -do-not-recommends?

EDITED TO ADD: we have family near Lampeter in Wales, so we can also travel a reasonable way from there to a suitable location.

I would recommend Fallow Field Falconry in Oxfordshire

http://www.fallowfieldsfalconry.co.uk/index.html

My two children had a Groupon voucher in December for two hours of hand on flying and the man was lovely and the birds well cared for. My husband and I both watched for a small charge. He does a be a falconer for a day and hunting with the birds.

I did falconry at Center Parcs Longleat, it was a fantastic experience and we got to handle a few different birds or prey including a fab absolutely dense owl who was useless at everything :lol:

I think Center Parcs do day passes but not sure if they still do the falconry

Well, their "experiences" aren't true falconry as such, and they state that in as many words. However, I'd be happy to recommend the Hawk Conservancy Trust just outside Andover. My wife wanted to go as her birthday treat (just to visit, not as a particular "experience"), and when we parked up outside and looked at the wooden buildings around the car park, we had a few misgivings, thinking this would be another of those back-garden attractions that take half an hour before you've seen everything. However, they have so many displays throughout the day that it's difficult to get to the end of the day without wondering where the time went. The setup is very professional, the birds are obviously happy and contented, the staff are enthusiastic and the Trust's reputation speaks for itself.

Given all this, I would be amazed if one of their "experiences" wasn't all their web site says.

We went to the Falconry Centre at Hagley nr Birmingham and had a fantastic day. It was just CTB and I so we got up close and personal to all the birds. In the afternoon we took a hawk out into the countryside and spent a manic couple of hours in the forest keeping up with it while it hunted!

THe best thing I remeber about the day though is driving out to the forest with this harris hawk sat on my lap in the car looking out of the window - you should have seen peoples faces :D

I would recommend Fallow Field Falconry in Oxfordshire

http://www.fallowfieldsfalconry.co.uk/index.html

My two children had a Groupon voucher in December for two hours of hand on flying and the man was lovely and the birds well cared for. My husband and I both watched for a small charge. He does a be a falconer for a day and hunting with the birds.

My brother and his girlfriend went there last year and really enjoyed the day :D The photos they took of the birds were amazing

Can't help with suggestions as I did my Falconry experience day here in West Sussex, and it was fab, but out of your area. Sidetracking just a little if anyone is near Puy Du Fou in France this year, do go...it's a great day out and their falconry display is far and away the best I have ever seen...( it even includes vultures!) absolutely mesmerising

http://www.puydufou.com/en#/phantom-birds/

I went to the Hawk Conservancy place and absolutely loved it.

Got to fly a Battleur(sp?) Eagle called Matilda and had a fabulous day. The flying display is brilliant especially when they get specific people to stand up/on the benches and the birds weave in between - you can feel the wingtips touch your face as they go past.

A definite recommendation from here :)

D x

THanks for your replies everyone, I;m checking all of them out.

Major B - you are right - I used the term "Falconry", when I should have said "Birds of Prey".

I'm definitely looking for something where my brother gets to actually fly the birds.

Thanks again everyone, any more suggestions? please keep them coming

Another fan of the Hawk Conservancy here - possibly not for the special day flying the birds, but great for anyone interested in raptors. I learned to fly birds of prey when I volunteered at a local wildlife hospital - it's a fab thing to do !

Hi WitchHazel

The reason I said that the Hawk Conservancy may not be the best for actually flying the birds is because I have only been there as a visitor and it's a bit like a very well run zoo for mainly raptors (that said I've not been for a few years). There is loads of info and loads of birds and they seem to do a lot for conservation and awareness of problems such as poisoning worldwide. What I'm not sure of is whether they actually allow members of the public to fly the birds (other than simply allowing kids (and me!) to hold out a gloved hand for one to land). They do/did put on quite a good display with birds and horses as a re-enactment of medieval hunting techniques. It's a great day out, but not sure you can have much hands-on time.

Hope this helps

Yvonne

Hi WitchHazel

The reason I said that the Hawk Conservancy may not be the best for actually flying the birds is because I have only been there as a visitor and it's a bit like a very well run zoo for mainly raptors (that said I've not been for a few years). There is loads of info and loads of birds and they seem to do a lot for conservation and awareness of problems such as poisoning worldwide. What I'm not sure of is whether they actually allow members of the public to fly the birds (other than simply allowing kids (and me!) to hold out a gloved hand for one to land). They do/did put on quite a good display with birds and horses as a re-enactment of medieval hunting techniques. It's a great day out, but not sure you can have much hands-on time.

Hope this helps

Yvonne

Certainly when we went for a family visit, there was the opportunity to stick on a glove and let a bird take off/land on it, but that was just an integral part of the various daily events going on. The full/half day experiences they sell, and that are listed on their web site, are something separate, and they do indeed allow someone to fly a bird. However, not having done that myself, I can't comment further beyond my impressions of the place as a whole.

note to self: add falconry day to xmas list...

Yes this thread is reminding me how much I enjoyed my day. If you can imagine a Shopping Trolley approaching you and landing on your arm, that was my experience with the European Eagle Owl, but what fabulous fabulous critters!