Paddington

Advice wanted re my cat's unwanted visits to other houses

Back in February I adopted two rescue cats - Charlie and Lola; @ 1 year old. Since letting them out, various neighbours have commented on how friendly they are and that they visit their houses. However, yesterday a lady from the adjoining road turned up on the door step very distraught because Charlie had been in her house, had a fight with her three cats and made a mess on the floor!

I have offered to pay for the lady to have a magnetic cat flap put in so that Charlie cannot get in to her house. This seemed problematic to her for some reason but I cannot think of any other solution.

Has any one had experience of this / any ideas of any other solutions as this is causing upset all round.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear it - to be honest, I think your neighbour is making an unwarranted fuss, and she should jolly well install her own magnetic catflap if she doesn't want other cats in the house! How does she know it was Charlie? (I'm assuming she didn't just stand by and watch him beat up her cats and make a mess, if she was present she'd have shooed him out, surely.)

You can't stop cats from roaming - the only thing you could do would be to keep him in, and presumably neither you nor he would be happy with that. I'm assuming, of course, that he's been neutered - an entire tomcat will certainly travel around and get into fights.

I have had both sides of this, a cat I owned who moved out to live with neighbours, and other cats coming in and causing havoc. It never occurred to me to 'blame' the owners of the other cat, instead I increased my own security by fitting a magnetic cat-flap. I don't think there is anything you can do, and if she has cats herself then she must know this.

Thanks for your reply Olly.

Charlie has been neutered and you're right, I don't want to keep him in. Hopefully he will be put off going in there again after the fight, but if not a different cat flap looks like the only solution.

Paddington

Oh dear - reminds me of a cat I once had who used to visit one neighbour and eat the dogs food while the dogs sat and watched :shock: , and then go to another neighbours house and sleep on their bed.

Never did solve it as he just stopped going as he got older, also wasn't so much a problem in the colder weather as the neighbours didn't have cat flaps - he just used to wander in open doors.

She says she did try with water pistol - not sure how Charlie reacted. I think it doesn't help that most people Charlie meets make a fuss of him, so he thinks himself rather adorable!

Still awaiting further events with fingers crossed that Charlie has got the message that her house is one place he is not welcome.

Paddington

I've had this sort of problem with other people's cats coming in loads of times. In fact, yesterday, an intruder cat bit me hard on the leg. My leg is a bit swollen and sore now. I felt furious at the time but I can't blame the owners. I put my cat flap on exit only so that he couldn't come back in. My cats can't wear a magnet as they have a skin condition which prevents them from wearing collars.

I threw a coat hanger at the cat to get rid of it after it bit me and will continue to scare him every time I see him to keep him away. I really don't want him biting one of my children or even one of my cats. I think it is my responsibility to keep him out rather than his owners' duty.

when my neighbours moved in 2 years ago their ct decided to pay us a visit eat out cats food and growled at me, a flick accross the nose with a teatowel soon put pay to that :lol: she hasnt been back as far as I know, but thats cats for you, i dont see how your neighbour can blame you

A local cat kept coming through my cat flap and eating all the food....I was worried about fighting or spraying as he's an entire tom. I wouldn't have dared to go to his owner making a fuss.....I put in a Petporte cat flap, which reads your cats microchips so only lets them in the house and it's the best thing I've done. Cost me around £75 and the locks on it are very secure, even Ludwig can't break his way out through it....she could fit one of those and not have the hassle of the magnetic collars, if that's what she's worried about, but not sure you should bear all the cost.

A local cat kept coming through my cat flap and eating all the food....I was worried about fighting or spraying as he's an entire tom. I wouldn't have dared to go to his owner making a fuss.....I put in a Petporte cat flap, which reads your cats microchips so only lets them in the house and it's the best thing I've done. Cost me around £75 and the locks on it are very secure, even Ludwig can't break his way out through it....she could fit one of those and not have the hassle of the magnetic collars, if that's what she's worried about, but not sure you should bear all the cost.

I have the same sort of thing called sureflap. Came from my vets. Brilliant for my cats...