happy_monday1984

Breeds suited to eglu

Hello!

This is my first post on this forum and my first foray into chicken-keeping! I have a (fried) eglu and run on the way and am contemplating which lovely breeds to stock it with. I've wanted to keep hens for years so this is all a bit over-exciting!!

I'm fairly set on keeping 3 pure breeds, and am considering the following: silkies, wyandottes, faverolles, marans and light Sussex. Are any of these not suitable for eglu-life? Would any of them not get along together?

They will have access to a classic eglu,4 meter run (although only constrained to this ~2 days per week when neither myself or OH are home) and free range over most of the garden when we are around to keep an eye on them.

Also, does anyone have any reccommendations for breeders in the S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire area?

Many thanks!

I haven't heard of a breed the eglu isn't suited to. :D

Over the years I have housed in my Eglu Classic (not all at the same time though):

X-batts

Silkies

Legbars

Pekins

Japanese Bantam

Orpington

Barbu d'Anvers

Poland

Araucana

Sultan

Frizzle

No recommendations for breeders in your area, sorry. I've got a Fried Egglu arriving in a few days too :D :D :D

Your list of breeds is fine the only birds really not suited to Eglu living are very large such as large fowl orpingtons or brahmas and very tall breeds like malays

Silkies and faverolles are more prone to being bullied because their restricted vision makes them easy targets but that is not a reason not to get them you just need to be vigilant and keep an eye on things

An eglu with 4m run is fine for four chooks

I have silkies and hybrids in eglus and a cube - the hybrids can all go in together when they're the same age - but I wouldn't put my silkies in with them as they bigger chooks do tend to pick on them and lunch on their feathers :( so they have their own eglu and run :)

Congrats on the eglu coming :dance:

Not to confuse matters but have you considered pekins? I love my little ones they are such great characters and you could have more than 4 in your set up as they are small. Having said that maybe you could go for a mixture. As others have said though look out for bullying if they are different sizes or ages. I have 3 huge cochin in with bantams and they get on fine but i think this was because the bantams were an established flock before I added the cochins. Oh and I would probably avoid cochins in the eglu too, although 2 may be ok I guess.

Looking forward to pics of whatever you decide.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have 4 different bantams and am quite new to chicken keeping. When I was first deciding, I had a huge list of breeds. I read as much as I could on each breed to decide which would be best for me and then went to see some as well to be sure. I find this forum is brilliant for all sorts of help and advice. Practical Poultry lists breeders by area so if you can get a copy of that it may be worth a look. Also, you could try the breed club for the breed(s) you like. Be warned though, you may find that you set out to get one breed and come back with a totally different one because they caught your eye! That is how I ended up with a Serama which wasn't on my list. She is my favourite though :shh:

Once you get your chickens, don't forget to post pictures.

A selection of different breeds would be fun. The only thing to take care of, is which breeds get on with which. For instance Silkies are often best kept on their own or with other gentle breeds. So they would probably be fine with Faverolles and even Wyandottes but I'm not sure they would go with Sussex and I'd not put them with Marans.

As pips-pekins says, you can't do better than to go somewhere you can actually see different breeds, before making up your mind as the books don't always give a good idea of how big some breeds can be. I was amazed when I saw my first Orpington. I had no idea they could be so huge :shock: Also there will be some colours that you suddenly really love and others that leave you cold. Whatever the case, if you are at all like most of us on this forum, you will soon increase your collection :whistle:

I bought my hybrids(Black rocks) here

http://www.storrspoultry.co.uk/index.php

about 5 years ago, but they also have pure breeds.

There are a couple of places at Wessington, near Crich, it depends whereabouts you are in Derbys/Yorks. I'm west of the Pennines so have used suppliers in Cheshire too.

Breeders listed by county here.

http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/poultry-suppliers/poultry-suppliers-england.php

I have a few diferent girls ranging from tiny =peeking to large=cochin i have 2 silkies mop and fransis and they are both top choks :shock: they are both great with me and the kids but do rule who dose what in the garden .

My peekings jelly and bean are great little girls they are bottom of the P,O but so friendley and cute ,

I do keep the floor of the run filed with straw as lots of my girls have feet feathers and this keeps them less muddy if i can keep them in the walk in run :roll:

Hi i am a newbie and dont have my chooks yet,just making some finishing touches to my walk in run..my question is how many chickens would you say would be ok to keep in hear..its 12foot by 10foot...dont know if you can see in the pic clearly its an old pond area that i thought would be a great idea so it does have an empty pond there,i was thinking of using it as a digging area ? can any1 tell me what would i use ? i was just thinking sand and dirt but like i said im very new to all this ? the muddy areas in there (if you can see) im growing grass in them,dont know if that will last though going on what some people say on hear lol im really looking forward to keeping chickens and i hope my idea of the run is a good 1...look forward to any help and advice what so ever :D

Hello Tracey,

I think you need to have put a few posts before you can add pictures but the mods will know more. Without having seen the picture, an empty pond with lots of dried earth will be a chickens' delight :D

I'm not certain how many chickens you can get in the space available, but I would certainly recommend not filling to capacity at the start as you are bound to want more chickens later on of different breends / colours. It seems that Morehens disease strikes us all sooner or later :wink: Why not just start with 2 or 3?

Thank you ckeaky chook..haha just see your name :D ..i was thinking 3 or 4 cos ive got 3 kids and they are all saying they want to name 1 :roll: ive added more things to the run now ive put wooden poles in the tree trunk and also and old tree branch cemented into 1 of the pots thats in there oooohhhh i wish i could put a pic on :( lol the run is 6ft high aswell..i cant wait to get them :dance:...so shall i just use dirt or with a bit of sand in it ? i dont know why im thinking this is any better lol and its all concrete so what do you suggest i use on the floor ? thanks for your help

If I worked it out right, you've got about 10sq m, so you could fit about 10 hens in there at a push... saying that I'd do as cheaky chook says and start with around 3/4 hens. I'd just fill the pond with mud/dirt... I put sand in the dust bath and they avoid it and just use soil in the garden instead! In the run I use hard wood chips (can get it from b+q or local tree surgeon) Best to avoid bark chips.

I think you can post photos now, have a read of this.