happy_monday1984

Breeds suited to eglu

:lol:

1. Click here.

2. Click "browse" & find your photo

3. Select a size for the photo (it recommends 640 x 480)

4. Press "upload now"

5. Select & copy the "Forum Code"

6. Post/paste the link here as a reply.......... :pray::lol:

Edited by Guest

:lol:

1. Click here.

2. Click "browse" & find your photo

3. Select a size for the photo (it recommends 640 x 480)

4. Press "upload now"

5. Select & copy the "From Code"

6. Post/paste the link here as a reply.......... :pray::lol:

Hi thanks for the help i think im almost there lol i cant see a from code but there is a forum code is that it ?

Wow, that's a palace! Lot's of interesting stuff to keep them busy 8)8)

Just a note - what is the darker material in front of the run? It looks like dirt - Mr Fox might be able to dig under the bottom edge of the run if it is :shock::shock:

Hi thanks for the lovely comment i hope they will like it..yes it is dirt but the whole pond area is concrete theres nowhere to get in to the cage by digging and where there is gaps ive concreted it all in..they can dig but all they will get is a sore head lol

Hey, Cheaky Chick (my twin :wink: ) that is a gem of a WIR :!::!: Lucky chooks and well done you for fathoming the picture loading business. :clap: It took me ages first time off . What breeds will you be getting? I feel all excited on your behalf :D

sootydog111 My silkies don't fly at all and don't hop over anything over a couple of feet high. I can't say about Orps or Australorps. You might get more advice by starting a brand new post on the subject of 'how high can they fly?' or something like that. :think:

Hey, Cheaky Chick (my twin :wink: ) that is a gem of a WIR :!::!: Lucky chooks and well done you for fathoming the picture loading business. :clap: It took me ages first time off . What breeds will you be getting? I feel all excited on your behalf :D

sootydog111 My silkies don't fly at all and don't hop over anything over a couple of feet high. I can't say about Orps or Australorps. You might get more advice by starting a brand new post on the subject of 'how high can they fly?' or something like that. :think:

aaww thank you i feel really great about it now after the lovely comments about it..glad there gonna like it cos i didnt do any research just used what i had..im looking for friendly easy to tame birds (any suggestions) not bantams as i want them bigger than my dog (mini jack russel) for when i let them free range,tho ive read they can hold there own with most pets..im just needing a chicken conversion kit then i can get my chooks..oh and put the roof on the wir...as for the pic uploading i was :wall: till i got help i hold my hands up :D

Your wir looks great :dance: the chickens will love it. I wouldn't bother with grass though :roll::lol:

My cochin are too big and heavy to fly, gorgeous fluff balls too.

Thank you :D no that grass is my part of the garden but i have sown some grass in the run and its just starting to gro so it prob wont get a chance then :lol: never mind its there run they can do what they like to it :anxious: i was just told that grass makes for good yolks ?...about the dust baths what do i buy for that ?

For breeds it would rather depend on whether you are after lots of eggs or not.

If it is eggs you want then there are some lovely hybrids out there. I've always rather fancied a Bluebell as they are supposed to be so gentle. I also rather like the looks of an Amber that someone one here has - white with goldy bits - very pretty indeed.

If you are not so fussed about eggs then go for a true breed but don't get ones that are too big for an eglu e.g. probably not so good to go for a standard sized Orpington on Brahma as they are humungous.

The Omlet Breed Sectionwould be a good and quick place to do your research.

For dust bathing material I wouldn't shell out any pennies. I did and tried chinchilla sand, play sand, special peaty compost, you name it, and my chooks just turned up their little beaks at it all. Then I turned out some old plant pots . . . and they loved it. Nought so odd as chooks!

By the way I have a JR with my chooks. He goes right into their house and sits down with them :roll: Be warned JRs like nothing better than a bit of chick poo for treats :vom:

P.S. have you thought of a Faverolle or two? They are quite big (if you get the standard version), come in very pretty colours including salmon and are lovely gentle girls.

Barnvelders and Vorwerks are nice too.

Oh I am a tad :mrgreen: I soooo wanted big girls but was told 'NO'. I do love my little Silkies and Frizzles but one day I'm gonna go BIG

I've no experience of omlet hens but I've had bluebelles and exbats. I now have cochins, pekins and silkies. If friendliness is your priority I would recommend pekins (or cochin if you really wanted big).Pekins are small and easy to handle for beginners too. At some point you will have to man handle them to treat for lice etc. Pekins are easy to tip over and hold with one hand which is great. If large regular eggs are what you are after then any hybrid (like omlet's) will be great. All chickens will be tamed by food and can be trained to come when you call. :D

I have 2 GNR and 1 PP from omlet , and i was the most nervous of people and really concerned about them but they are very tame ..If there is food about

I have had them for 10 weeks now and they are in a 12ft x 6ft WIR and free range in our small garden when I am around.

I just love them :lol: This week we went over 150 eggs ,They have a gold star on the front of their coup for every 50 eggs :clap: