happy_monday1984

Breeds suited to eglu

Thanks you guys :D ive found a lady that has got some 8-10 week olds but i dont know what they are yet im waiting on her getting back to me..the only thing about going with omlet is i wanted 3 or 4 and i wanted different colours to tell them apart and they only do the 2 dont they ? im gonna order my conversion kit 2moro omg i think i might wee myself :dance::lol:

I have 2 silkies, an amber, a blue haze/bluebelle, a skyline, a speckled star, and 2 omlet chooks - a GNR and a PP:)

I luuurve my silkies, to look at, watch, cuddle and just generally be around, they haven't come into lay just yet though, but they were always going to be pets.

My PP and GNR are my egg laying girls at the moment, and because they come at JUST the right age (I think) POL around 20weeks, they were so quick to tame up and start laying. They're the friendliest of the bunch given the time frame they started warming to us.

My other hybrids are lovely girls but still very young and were kept in a barn up until we got them so they aren't used to us yet but they're getting the idea that we give them food :)

Here are the new hybrids - the black and white is a speckled star, the browny/grey/gold one with a topknot is a skyline, the white and brown/gold is an amber and the grey one is a blue haze/bluebelle.

292779_10150271071971918_678236917_7775309_3648377_n.jpg

Here's Babs, my omlet GNR:

268916_10150232424611918_678236917_7384517_8221579_n.jpg

268323_10150232598911918_678236917_7387070_1539690_n.jpg

Margot my Omlet PP:

268068_10150212457491918_678236917_7246020_5037207_n.jpg

And Doris and Elsie, my beautiful gold bearded silkie lovelies:

297110_10150273377481918_678236917_7796665_1606254_n.jpg

As you can see, I couldn't decide on what breeds to go for either... :lol: and I'm happy I got a selection, but for now my silkies definitely need to stay separate if they're going to carry on looking as cute and furry as they do :)

aaawwww luvvum :) i am liking the look of the gingernut ranger and your amber..i might just get leg rings to tell them apart :think: i will prob be like alot of you on hear and pick who i think is the prettiest :D or i suppose who warm to me maybe :pray: lol

GNR and Ambers have a brilliant rep (Ambers are just like white gingernuts, basically) as first time chickens, they're inquisitive, friendly and very docile, wonderful especially for kiddies.

leg rings work to start with for sure! I didn't bother putting leg rings on my silkies (they're sisters from the same hatch), and spent a couple of days watching them intently (sad, I know), you learn to tell them apart from their idiosyncracies. Doris has a bollywood-style head wobble, is smaller, doesn't have so many colours in her breast feathers, has scraggly flight feathers... Elsie is bigger, and she also has black flecks on her flight feathers, which are much neater. I can tell them apart straight away now :)

I chose a lot of mine because of what they looked like, but my speckled star was a 'she chose us' moment - I was going to get a speckled maran, but Olive was up at the mesh, staring and boking at me whilst I was peering in to pick the chickens and I changed my mind straight away!

Good luck, you'll love whatever girlies you choose :)

Squiffs, your silkies are just gorgeous :!::!: but I also really like your Amber who is one pretty lady. If I was allowed hybrids (OH says they are too big and would dig up our garden too much) I'd have an Amber and a Bluebell and a couple of ex bats. :D

Well if you only had a few... :whistle:

and thank you! I mummy the silkies a lot, they still run away if I try and pick them up without tempting them with a treat, but once they're having a cuddle they're little mummy's girls :) I'm hoping to get a couple more from the same breeder next year, hopefully a white and a splash - your chookies make me go squeee! I'm a frizzle and silkie lover but my OH loves the bigger chooks and of course the eggs!

YAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!! Hi everyone...ive finally got my girls :dance::D The cream + ginger is Betty...The speckled is Dotty...The black is Flo...The cream is Margo and we went and got the 5th one the next day but not got a pic of her yet,shes blacky/brown with a bit of light ginger on her head and neck and shes called Hazel...i love love love them..there so friendly..not at pol so no eggs yet but thats gonna be more of a surprise when we do get one cos we're checking every day its so exciting :lol:

31133410150322163984525.jpg

29439510150320570594525.jpg

29485110150320568644525.jpg

29607510150320566909525.jpg

31162910150320568924525.jpg

31260610150320568389525.jpg

31496910150320566224525.jpg

Lovely, so tidy and clean too! I give it two weeks :lol: Yours girls look very happy and I love the mixture of colours.

I have a dot and flo too :D

aaww thanks..yeah well i was most deffinetly calling one Margo cos its my nickname lol so then old lady names just started coming out :lol: i love it tho..yeah im doing good with the run,they are messy but not as bad as i thought they would be and im poop scooping every day to keep the mess down and it seems to be working its staying tidy :D

That's a lovely set up you have there Cheaky Chick. It's good to see how it all works now that the pond is filled in and the spotty 'roof' is on. :D Lovely chooks too. My favs are Betty and Dotty. So pretty.

aaww thanks..hahaha guess what tho,we had to take back the black and ginger 1 (not in the pics) cos we got a lovely big crow out of her in the morning lol and then the next day (monday) Betty decided she wanted to be a boy aswell lol we got new ones tho..black and ginger again but paler colours and and 1 that looks the exact same as betty..just hope they are girls..time will tell...haha and i wish i had a lovely spotty roof its my table umbrella :lol: Oh and grass is allllllllll gone :lol:

Gutted - Spotty roof isn't a spotty roof!

Trying to plan my WIR and because it is going to be right in my eyeline from the lounge I am looking for something attractive to look at.

That would have been great.

Mmmmm - I wonder if you can get out doors sticky back plastic that you could put on a perspex roof.

Gutted - Spotty roof isn't a spotty roof!

Trying to plan my WIR and because it is going to be right in my eyeline from the lounge I am looking for something attractive to look at.

That would have been great.

Mmmmm - I wonder if you can get out doors sticky back plastic that you could put on a perspex roof.

OMG Ive just had an idea :D what about that stuff you can get to put on your kitchen table...you can get lots of wicked patterns..i no Dunelm sell it...you can just staple gun it to your existing roof and its water proof :think: