TESSANN

BARK OR WOODCHIP OR HEMCORE? CONFUSED

Hi there,

I am confused whether to use bark or woodchip in my eglu run?

Am I right in thinking that bark is dangerous to chickens? If not, what is the best sort of bark to get?

Regarding Hemcore, I have used this before and it is blown all over the garden and makes such a mess. Do others have this problem or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks

Rosemary

I'be used bark in the past, and my main gripe with it was that it went mushy incredibly quickly. wood chips last so much longer, and if you're lucky you can pick them up for nothing from your local friendly tree surgeon or even your council. I've never used Hemcore, so cannot comment on it, but plenty of forum members do use it , with great results, so I'll let them answer your query on that!

Hi Rosemary. Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I think you are right about bark. I believe it can harbour fungus or mould spores which can be harmful.

I use Aubiose which is similar to Hemcore and it is fab.....I haven't had any problems with it blowing about.

I'd go for woodchip rather than bark if you aren't keen on the hemp products.

Welcome Rosemary!

Like chookiehen we used bark for a while, but when the summer :roll: came the rain :roll: made them all soggy.

We changed to wood chips last week (terracota hardwood from B&Q) and apart from the fake tan around their little feet we have no complaints. The rain dries off quickly!

I have researched other suppliers for hardwood chippings and if this experiment works as we hope we will try a few out.

Aubiose/Hemcore is a big fav on this site, so I am sure you will hear about that soon.

Like Egluntine, I have tried various things; I've used bark, which I found to be very damp and smelly, went onto woodchip, which was less damp, but still inclined to go soggy (and this is in a sheltered spot). I now use either Hemcore or Aubiouse depending on what I can get - it keeps dry, doesn't blow about and seems to deodorise smells. I've now got it in the run, nest box, poo tray and in the bunnies' rablu. I love it :D

I used bark but, like the others have said, it went soggy and grew mould in places. Now i have got the bark that you see in kiddies playgrounds and it's brilliant. It does get wet but soon dries out and i haven't seen any mould anywhere. Not quite sure exactly what sort of bark it is, it may even be wood chip.

We have a 12 foot by 14 foot enclosure that is bark chipped with about 6 bags of bark. We refresh it every 6 months or so. Its been like that for 18 months and we have had no problems with it being soggy or mouldy. It is quite an exposed area though, maybe that helps to keep it dry.

The hemcore is supposed to be fab if you have a smallish area to keep refreshed. I just rake our area every so often and its fine.

Hi Rosemary,

We use a woodchip shavings stuff called Easybed+ it is rather good. It is treated with a fly repellent, presumably citronella. A 25kg bale costs about £4.50. I beleive the hemcore based stuff composts better and quicker but haven't tried it yet.

We have had our cube about three weeks and it is starting to look ready for a change. (edit: the bedding not the CUBE!) I will probably do this when the hens make parole tomorrow! :D

We use shredded paper, bills etc in the nesting box but this does tend to stick to the eggs a little. :roll:

Kev.

Sarah works for a timber merchant and we get lots of wood shavings for free - they think it is hilarious that we take huge bags of them away - but we know exactly what the wood shavings are and where they came from, so maybe you could ask a local timber merchant too?