Ziggy

Cats, cats and more cats

Hi all,

After getting the chickens at Xmas, and since then losing our cockatiels to psittacosis, and our last guinea pig to a mix of surgery and old age, we've decided (well, I've decided, and to my HUGE surprise hubby just agreed with a sigh - so much for the long convincing passionate speech I had prepared and never got to perform) to get some more cats... I have always been feline crazy, and now that we don't have rabbit and lots of guinea pigs to care for, we have space and time for new family members... We're hoping to get two or three kittens some time soon, and then (as promised to my hubby), that will be it for now... I guess cats, chickens, fish, and rats is a nice big family... friend of mine teased that I'd soon be in trouble with the law for not actually having a zoo license!!!

I wanted some iguanas and an aviary with colourful birds too, but maybe that will have to wait!!

As for the elephant and the monkeys, I guess that will remain a childhood fantasy...

I find having all these pets is so wonderful, couldn't live without animals all over the place...

Congratulations Ziggy - I am sure you will love more cats . And as for zoos, you are not the only one on this forum! We currently have 6 cats, 2 guinea pigs, a geriactic rabbit, 2 young hermmans tortoises as well as the 5 ladies in the eglu at the bottom of the garden! I think my OH has given up having any say in what we have - and if he says "no" to me he will eventually say "yes" to the children!!! :wink::wink:

I'm glad to see on these boards that the 'zoo tendency' is by no way limited to my household.

I did wonder if my cats would accept other kittens, but they are pretty laid back. They too came from rescue centre, but had not been particularly stressed out previously in their life, they had stable life before being brought to rescue centre, and were only there for less than a week as I reserved them within hours of them getting there. Seeing how they behave towards other pets in our house, and towards neighbourhood cats, and having researched the kitten issue, I think they'll be fine, but it's true I would not be having more cats if I didn't think they would be fine with it... Getting more pets might be my choice or decision, but we have to take everybody (human and animal) into account when making those choices.

I absolutely love that list!!!! And that conclusion!! 'Is that the lot' is what I always think... counting everybody, then feeling massively guilty if I forgot anyone.

What kind of dogs are Bichon Freise Dogs?? Never heard of them before... Been wanting a dog since I was about 6, but times have never been right, especially with our tendency to travel a lot... My daughter got interested in tortoises for short while, while she was deciding which pet to get, but then we went for rats instead... it's a big animal world out there... hard to make decisions!!!

I think you should get more cats... one or 2 or better still 3 :shock: Contact your local Cats Protection branch - I'm sure they will have lots of cats & kittens needing loving homes.

I am a bit animal mad too. We have

1 dog & a dog lodger who'se been here a few weeks. :roll:

3 cats & 9 foster cats all in outdoor pens (rescues)

10 chickens

I work with dogs & spend lots of my spare time with the rescue cats, so as you can see we are pretty animal mad here too!

Edited by Guest

Smudgley, if I mention 12 cats, 2 dogs and 10 chickens to my husband, he'll faint...

3 cats is what I have in mind, so looking for 3 kittens now that would be ready to leave their mum any time after our holiday in July... I can't go to rescue centre though, as they won't give me kittens, as I have young children. It is a policy, I think out of worry of what toddlers might do to little kittens. I have had lots of kids, and lots of pets, and had kittens before, so I'm pretty prepared to, and used to, protecting pets and kids from each other, but I guess the people in the rescue centres don't want to take a chance, they might just have heard too many horror stories.

We have adopted two adult cats two years ago and are delighted with them, but this time I'd like to have the next cats from kitten age...

I think I need more animals. we have 3 cats (Sparky and Salem the grown up rescue brother and sister, and Smudge the kitten, one of a friend's litter who was my daughters 10th birthday present last year). and the 4 chickens. and the freerange rabbit.

what shall I get next?? I toyed with rescue donkeys for a while, but thought the neighbours might complain. girls wanted a cow, til they saw a cowpat! I quite fancy goats, but they do eat everything. sheep too stupid. could get a pig, as I would be quite happy to eat it, but again - the neighbours. really fancy llamas, but they are v. expensive! not quite enough land for a pony, and anyway the kids would then want 2... dont want anything small in a cage.

I'm the only one that really wants a dog at the moment, but I'm working on the rest of them.

any ideas? thinking about quail, having seen Martin's thread, and will probably get ducks when we have a pond (like when everything else that needs doing is done).

Ziggy - Some rescues will allow people with children to adopt cats & kittens. I know some won't which makes me angry :evil: .... I am always happy to rehome the rescue cats from here to people with children & other animals.

...Shame you were't a bit nearer. All my cats & kittens are reserved except for 3 babies from the same litter - ready to leave end of July. :wink:

we got our big 2 from CPL, and although they were a bit reluctant about kittens (think my girls were 4 and 2) they came and did a home visit and saw that the children were animal-trained etc, so we got them.

CPL wont rehome kittens before 6 months old tho.

CP will rehome cats from 9 weeks old. :wink:

I have checked before with our local rescues, and the answer I got from them was always the same (no kitten to a house with young kids)... we have resentful memories from the CPL, they did our house check and so on, approved us, then obviously appeared extremely reluctant to give us any cat... they kept bringing up excuses for each cat they got, finding any reason not to let us have one... some of their cats are with them for so long, and I am not surprised about it at all. A friend of mine who lives nearby had exactly the same problem, she only managed to get a cat from them because she lied about the number of kids she has (she had enquired before and was told she couldn't have a cat from them because she had 4 kids, so when she tried again later, having 5 kids by then, she lied and said she only had 3). I got my two gorgeous cats from the Blue Cross, but that too took quite an effort. I called to enquire and they immediately told me that I had to go and register with them first of all. So I drove there (it is an hour away from the house), and the looks and sighs I got when I went in and said I wanted to register to adopt two cats were such that I nearly walked straight out again. The lady there looked at me from top to toes a few times, as if I was enemy number one coming to steal cats to carry out experiments on them!! I got the usual 'why do you want cats anyway? We wont call you when we get a suitable cat, it's up to you to keep calling us everday, we require a donation you know, we don't just give them for free, and so on' Once I was sent to the cattery though, the people there were very lovely and it all went well...

I do understand the need for a bit of caution when re-homing animals, especially as those animals to be rehomed have obviously got through disturbing changes in their lives, but mostly I find things are too strict. My friend had actually been approved for fostering a child, but was regarded with suspicion when wanting a cat!!!! I could give three kittens a wonderful home with a big garden, and lifelong good care. We don't plan to relocate anywhere, and even if we did I wouldn't agree to going anywhere if any of the pets can't come with us. They are all part of the family. I find it a pity that we are dis-regarded by our three local rescues just because we have a baby and a four year old. I will keep looking, and also talk to the local vets, they often have notice boards where people can post if they have kittens looking for a home.

Smudgley, it is such a pity we are not closer! Three kittens would be perfect, and also end of July is exactly the time I'd be hoping to get mine, when we are back from our holiday. Wonder how long it'd take to drive from Oxford to where you are :wink:

Hi Everyone :D

I'm new to the forum, having ordered my first eglu and 2 chooks earlier today. Ashley (my darling teenage son) and I are soooooo excited. Can't wait. We haven't been given a delivery date yet, but it can't come soon enough :P

We currently have 6 GORGEOUS pussy cats - all rescues and absolutely adorable. I'll try to add some piccies at some point when I work out how!!! We also have 3 degus (aka Chilean Squirrels) again rescued from RSPCA. Our eldest one "Pippin" is going to be used on the official RSPCA 2007 Christmas cards so please look out for her :D Hopefully she doesn't turn into a diva degu after her 15 minutes of fame!!

We also have a tank full of tropical fish including Dougal (synodontis catfish) who was rescued from our local hospital.

Jue xx

Edited by Guest

Hi Louise

Thanks for the welcome. I did try to attach a pic of Pippin but still struggling. Degus are so lovely. They are about the size of a Guinea Pig and look a bit like an oversized gerbil crossed with a Chinchilla and a rabbit :lol: very cute tho.

Have a look at this site for general info:

http://www.myhomezone.co.uk/degus/

or the rspca website where Pippin can be seen

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=happytails&marker=1&articleId=1182868806264

Isn't she gorgeous? :D

Jue

That's exactly what I keep telling myself but it doesn't work :lol:

Can't wait for the chickens though. We had some when I was little and they were ace. I'd never thought about having them as I live in a town now but having seen the Eglu, I think it will be just perfect for them :D

Can I ask how well your cats get on with the chickens? Mine aren't very aggressive but they have been known to enjoy the pasttime of catching birds :cry:

Jue

Hi there,

My cats and chickens get on absolutely fine, and from what I've read on other posts before, this seems to be the norm... One of my cats is a lethal hunter, but we can let the chickens out to roam in the garden and she leaves them alone. The first time we let the chickens out the cats were very intrigued and excited, so we were there ready to intervene. The cats did start a chase, which made the chickens run, which of course excited the cat even more, so it's a good thing we were there. Once the cats got to observe the chooks a bit more though, and got glared at quite sternly by them, they realised quite how big chickens are and quite how threatening their beaks and postures are, and we've never had any problems...

I wonder what our new kittens will think when they meet the chooks for the first time... my guess is they'll be terrified!

Thanks for letting me know. I've read quite a few posts where they seem to get on ok but you still worry. I will only let the chickens out in the garden when I'm out there with them so hopefully I should be able to deter any potential stalkers :P

I think what I dread more than anything is the chickens catching the frogs that we have in abundance. The cats are bad enough with them :twisted:

Did you get your chickens direct from Omlet or a local breeder to you? I just wondered what size they will be when they arrive? Hopefully big enough to put the frighteners on the cats :lol:

We used to have a rabbit that had the run of the garden and the cats were terrified of him. He used to love following them around :lol:

xx

CHICKEN UPDATE - They arrive on 6th SEPTEMBER hoorah :lol:

Edited by Guest