Mr Rhode Island Red

School Memories

I still remember the kindness of a teacher when I was in primary school. She asked me what cards and presents I'd got and I said none, and she brought me a cream cake. :D I also remember the teacher who asked the class to vote who would be Cinderella in the school play, they voted for me! At first rehearsal she pulled me and gave it to the girl with long blonde hair. This doesn't sound much now, but it was so upsetting for me at the time, and still seems very unjust to me now. :cry:

I had a French teacher ( I was in set 4 :oops: ) who came into every lesson telling us all how rubbish we were and that she didn't know why she bothered. I didn't do very well in French !

Also my teachers wanted me to do biology, but I told them I'd faint and so they let me do chemistry instead ( which I wanted because it was like cooking!)

I hated and feared school with a passion - bullies and PE lessons cast a pall over the whole thing. I was bright, but there was a 'school rule' that anyone who got an A for anything got a kicking at the end of the day.

I've been left almost 35 years, but I still feel a moment of panic when I see those 'back to school' ads that start about now.

There's a lot of debate about corporal punishment, but I was caned at least once a week for two years (usually for refusing to do the dreaded PE!) and that has had little lasting effect - for good or ill.

What's your aim like YP :lol:

:lol: Funny you should say that, but I'm a teacher and think I would have failed teacher training in the past my aim is so pants, I accidentally hit a child :shameonu: when we were playing a throwing game in class, I was mortified :oops: thankfully everyone saw the funny side!

As an adult I think it's easy to forget how much children takes things to heart and also how they can worry over the slightest things, like in the earlier example of 'I'd like to see your Mum at the end of the day'

Yes, back to school ads make my stomach sink. It was ages before I could really enjoy the lovely end of summer days we so often get in this country. Glad I don't have children as I'd find it very hard to shove them off to dreaded school and all its peer levelling. One thing though, I've never had to worry that my school days were the best days of my life :wink:

One thing though, I've never had to worry that my school days were the best days of my life :wink:

Indeed! People used to tell me that all the time when I was at school - had forgotten that bit.

Good job I never believed them

I always reckoned that if I'd had kids I would educate them myself

I thought I didn't have any stories but reading this made me think "ooh... ooh..."

I want to see your mother

in junior school but I can't remember which year. We were preparing for a concert. I was supposed to recite some passage from the Bible with 2 or 3 other girls (Catholic school). The local priest called in to watch us rehe"Ooops, word censored!" and asked for our passage but as the 3 / 4 of us got up he or the teacher said "Not you PJ" so I sat back down feeling thoroughly miserable... What had I done wrong? Wasn't I good enough? Turned out they wanted me to recite a different passage on my own. They don't think about how things are perceived and that I wouldn't realise I was being rewarded not rejected.

Glad you've chosen a vocational course

After I went to university my mother met my infant school head teacher who asked how I was getting on (and probably about my sisters as well). My mother told her I was doing engineering and she replied "Oh I'm soooooo disappointed. We thought she would do so well". I think she thought my mother meant a car mechanic rather than a "professional" engineer (I have a degree & a PhD and should be chartered if I could be bothered to go through the process.)

You can't be Cinderella

We had a lunch club in senior school where we learnt Scottish Country Dancing. In the second year we were going to do 2 dances for the Christmas concert. There were 17 in the club from second year (or first & second combined). 2 dances times 8 dancers per set = 16. Guess who got left out? Yes, me! Despite the fact that one of the girls who was chosen rarely turned up for rehearsals and I had to stand in. Yet she was still able to do the concert. I was so upset and am still feeling the outrage as I type this.

I'd better stop with those...

PJ