Mr Rhode Island Red

School Memories

I was just remembering today some of the events in my school years that I would rather if they didn't happen. We all have a few.

For me, one of my most embarrassing moments was when I was about 10 years old. I was in class, daydreaming. And my teacher spotted me staring into space.

"A penny for your thoughts Mr. ____?__"

I replied

"Wha?..."

The teacher proceeded to bring me up to the front of the class. (English Class)

"Do you know what a pronoun is?"

"No, sir"

"Do you know what an adjective is?"

"No, sir"

"Would you mind paying a tiny bit more attention in class, sit down!"

:lol: Funny when I look back on it, but when it was happening I was badly embarrassed :oops:

Any more memories from school years?

I was in Welsh class, and had been messing about arguing with my friend Carl who was over the other side of the classroom whilst the teacher was out of the room... It was play fighting and I threw my pencil case at him just as the teacher came back in the room...

"Who threw that pencil case" she screamed (she was quite a scary lady!)

"I did" I admitted

Now I should add I was a girly swot who would end up being made Deputy Head Girl in a few years.

"Who really threw it Deborah" she bellowed back, not believing it was me.

"I honestly did throw it Miss" I replied.

The rest of the class nodded, she sighed, giving up on her mystery as to who really threw it. she refused to believe it was me.

I still remember the pencil case well, it was furry and stripped with pink, yellow, orange and white stripes :D

I also remember leaning too close to a bunsen burner and setting fire to my hair and eyebrows :roll: .

I did that! The smell of burning hair was interesting... Fortunately there was no hair spray that day!

Chemistry teacher nearly wet himself :lol: Poor man...

My first memory of school is of being very disappointed at only having a yellow star for my picture not a gold one like the other children. (I was in Reception and felt very hard done by :lol: )

My best memory is when I played the part of an Ugly Sister in Cinderella in my last year of Primary School. I was so happy :D

I remember in 6th form - a few of us were hippies & wore fragrance oils. I took a liking to honeysuckle or patchouli oil.

We were in biology class one day sat on the lab benches watching a video of genetics or something, when the teacher accused us of having whacky backy! :shock:

I didn't know for sure about my fellow pupils, but knew I'd not got anything like that. He was so adamant that one of us had it. He said he could smell it!

Uh oh, penny dropped, I realised it was the Patchouli oil! I couldn't look the teacher in the eye for a few lessons after that! :oops:

I also remember when I moved schools & had my first maths exam. I got 24%. Oops! :lol:

Emma.x

I truly hated school, the unhappiest years of my life :cry:

I remember being told by my junior school teacher to stand on my chair because I had blushed :oops: when she asked me a question :cry:

Oh dear, all too traumatic to think about ... on the other hand, I do remember the haven of maths lessons with Mrs Burns, she was just lovely :D

I remember one boy had ants in his pants, he just could not sit still and get on with his work and would be a distraction to others. So the teacher sticky taped him to the chair :lol: Problem solved :lol:

I suspect she'd be jailed for doing that now :roll:

Yep, I remember one lad was picked up and put in the bin by the teacher because he wouldn't stop talking rubbish. We all thought it was hilarious, including the lad, but now it would probably be assault :roll:

School (In Glasgow) for me was the most miserable time of my life :( getting my hands belted for getting long division sums wrong has Left me with a mental block for maths on paper to this day. I would love to meet some of the sadistic teachers we had now I am a grown up and not frightened of bullies :twisted: Thank God things have changed :)

I was not a happy school kid and at junior school was as dim as cabbages, shy and untalented so I had many 'worst' moments including 21% at maths (shared across three people!), but my very worst memory was being told to play the piano at school assembly when I was 8. I stood out front and announced that I was going to play a piece 'by Thomas a Becket' (one of the teachers began to giggle). I then sat down and got the first few bars underway but got stuck. I started again and got stuck at the same point. Back I went only to be stuck at the very same bit yet again. The headmistress tiptoed out as if it was some child genius playing on a talent show . . . and everyone else in the school followed :oops::oops::oops:

(But just in case there is anyone out there who is a late starter or who is the parent of a late starter, all was not lost, a few years later at another school I did reach grade 7 piano and I also got to uni where I studied latin :shock: )

:lol::lol:

Oh I remember a puddle incident at school :oops:

and Mr Watkins who threw rubbers at us and threw our things out the window if we fiddled with them :lol: and the boy Graham who was always being caned, never seemed to bother him.

Navy knickers we wore for games :vom:

I remember being the target of many an airborne board rubber (remember them?)

teachers had good aim back then too...

:lol::lol::lol: can just picture that, our teachers had good aims too :wink:

My first day of school I was made to drink a bottle of milk (couldn't stand the stuff and was never made to drink it at home) - upshot was I threw up all over the teacher's feet - I can still see those 'old lady' open toed sandels, american tan tights, and second hand breakfast :vom:

I am allergic to potatoes.. The school kitchen staff and my class teacher knew... The head teacher didn't.

One lunchtime she made me eat a plate of mashed potato and peas (I was 7), I protested saying "potatoes make me really ill and I can't eat them" she remarked that she had never heard anything more ridiculous. She changed her tune as I came out in spots and started vomiting... And she apologised profusely after my (normally passive) Mums furious visit to the school.... I had packed lunches for the rest of my primary schooling :wink:

I remember being the target of many an airborne board rubber (remember them?)

teachers had good aim back then too...

My Maths teacher threw a board compass at me and slung my flute across the classroom damaging it, he was a sadistic bully and always had someone he picked on. I hated school, yet I'm a teacher now ..... I never want the children I teach to feel how I did.

Our primary school was based around a courtyard, there were windows all around. Our school milk was left in the sunlight every morning before we drunk it. I still can't drink plain milk now :vom: If we didn't eat our school lunches we were gripped around the neck with our nose forced back until we swallowed the food :cry:

One day my teacher flew into a rage with me because I couldn't draw a dinosaur to her standards. So she threw me against one of the big metal radiators & knocked me out, my mum found out from other children & the teacher was never reprimanded.

I hated school & was bullied from start to end, can you believe even in the 6th form by younger children? I was tinsy for my age :cry: