Mr Rhode Island Red

School Memories

That's shocking even in my day. Feel so sad for you, how can teachers bully like that. Pencils and rubbers and even cane is one thing but that is disgusting, I hope they got their comeuppance.

I agree with your emotions about spotty milk :vom:

I was diddy and was always bullied in school because I was born in Germany (My dad was in the Army) When I used to spend my school holidays in Germany with my German cousin her friends threw me in a rubbish skip, tipped rubbish over me & spat at me...because I am British!! I was about 11 at the time :(

I didn't tell my mum for about 14 years when she wanted to know why I didn't want to go to my German cousins wedding :?

I also hated school. I was a skinny child and didn't eat a great deal back then. My very dear freind had cystic fibrosis and missed out on a great deal of school. I was doing her shoe laces up for her and the headmistess wanted to know what I was diong and that she didn't want the likes of me mixing with her. I was about 7 years old :!::roll: I was force fed untill I was sick over my afters. The headmistress told me she had a good mind to make me eat it. I was banned from school dinners after that . Mother was not impressed. :twisted: I was also very slow at reading and had to read to the head, each time I got a word wrong I was hit accros the legs with a ruler. :shock: I actually fing telling you all this a bit painfull even after all this time. :cry: I could handle a bullying child but not the bullying adults. :twisted:

I think thats a real shame :(

I loved school and would go back and stay there forever! I was quite clever in lower school, got into Grammar school + then it went downhill ;)

Still loved it, was kind of bad but in a cheeky way rather than naughty bad. We were the worst form group ever though, all the teachers remember our year.

Some of the teachers at Secondary school were more like friends and I'd talk to my Head Of Year about stuff going on.

I did all the tech theatre stuff for all the productions/charity events and assemblies with my friend so were always in there at lunch and after school fixing lights and scenery so got to know the teachers through that - we even had a set of keys for everything in there and a master key for school?! :lol:

I got called out of A Level Physics one lesson (detested and failed it) by the Headteacher, everyone was :anxious: ... walked into his office, "Lewis, d'you like chocolate cake?" Obviously...

Was his birthday so me and friend had tea + cake with him :D

This thread has made me laugh and cry at the same time. I was a girly swot, and rarely in trouble, but then again I missed quite a bit of schooling through illness as a child and i can remember the horror of coming back, and finding they'd done long division while I was off sick, and I didn't understand it. (Now, I wonder why the teacher didn't realise, or why I didn't ask, but it took me weeks to get the hang of it.)

I think this was the same year when I got told off for cheating in maths 'but Miss, I wasn't asking her the answer, I was asking her what the question is because I can't read it'. 'Ask your mother to come and see me at hometime', which left me quaking all afternoon - all the teacher said to mum was 'I think she needs some glasses'! (She was right).

I can remember some lovely teachers, and I really enjoyed primary school - but I also remember some sadistic bullies, and yes blackboard rubbers flying through the air were common at my secondary school. We had black uniform, and if the teacher scored a hit on your shoulder or arm it took forever to get the chalk out!

Some shocking stories.

When I (and the rest of my class) finished primary school the teachers were glad to see the back of us.

Our school had an annual Christmas concert for the parents of students in the school. Each class would put on a play. I had a younger brother and sister preforming at one, so I went to the school to support them. This was the case with most of my classmates.

A teacher recognised us as past pupils:

"Ye were so eager to get out of here in the summer and now you are back. Please leave now" :shock:

Wow some of those posts were really sad :(

Makes me glad I didn't go to school in the "olden days" ;) ;)

I quite liked primary and upper school, but really hate sixth form at the minute, I was looking forward to it because I thought it would be better to concentrate on just 4 subjects - how wrong was I!

Favourite memory is probably when we had this cover teacher and they threw a roll of selotape at someone, they really put everything into it and launched it! Was hilarious at the time :lol:

We also had a French teacher who chucked blackboard rubbers and chalk at people. He was barking and had a breakdown in later yrs, our Biology teacher when we were in yr 7-8 used to wear matching tights and shoes and was an unmarried woman who blushed crimson during sex ed. Didnt help we would ask stoopid questions. :shameonu: One day we had a bomb alert (was when IRA were at work so taken seriously) - had to gather in the gym which seemed a bit daft as it was joined to the school and the whole place would have gone up. Well Miss H her of the green tights, green shoes and crismson face decided we all had to take an animal each (gerbils, bunnies etc) they couldnt be left to be blown to pieces. In my teenage yrs I frankly only thought of numero uno and couldnt give a toss re a few furry beasts but we took the cages to the gym to be blown up with everyone else. :lol: It was a hoax.

Hated school - was bullied too and was like an ironing board - straight up and down, flat chested with a dodgey haircut and braces. Best days of your lives - not likely

I quite liked primary and upper school, but really hate sixth form at the minute, I was looking forward to it because I thought it would be better to concentrate on just 4 subjects - how wrong was I!

Just get on with it, work hard, get good results (its only 2 years after all), it will be worth it!

Edited by Guest

My late father used to make us all roar with laughter about his school days (going back to the real old days, now, before the 2nd WW). One story was that in physics a huge big bully of a boy who kept failing his exams (highers) was turning a large lump of metal over a bunsen burner very slowly and dimly. The tiny stiff male teacher asked him what he was doing.

School boy 'making a collar stud sir'

Teacher, tentatively: 'what you need is a brazier'

School boy towering over tiny teacher : 'think I'm a girl sir?'

All told in a strong Welsh accent :lol:

Wow some of those posts were really sad :(

Makes me glad I didn't go to school in the "olden days" ;) ;)

Olden days :!: Watch it you cheeky monkey. :lol::lol::lol: Not drawing my pension just yet. :lol:

Sam must mean the good old days :lol:

That's the one ;)

hehe sorry I didn't know how else to word it :oops::lol:

My Dad has a story which I love. Northampton cricket club had got to the top of some sort of cup tournament, pretty important apparently, so important that Dad decided to skip school to watch the match :wink:

He saw one of his teachers at the ground and started panicking, unable to think of a reasonable excuse. The teacher came over and said, "James! Let me get one think straight here. I didn't see you, and you didn't see me, alright?"

That story makes me laugh every time.

I had Nuns. Think of all the baggage they carried :think: Seriously, if I spot a Nun even now, they frighten me. :evil:

Yeah the teachers bullied, slapped and didn't teach you properly. But strangely they managed to impart one of the important things: always stand up to bullies. Ironic really.

I was told to leave the choir as I was useless at singing. I only joined cos it was better than being in the cold playground. My mate Sue stood up and said "if Anne goes, I go". The Nuns gave in - Sue was their only cello player. I still feel smug about that.

School (In Glasgow) for me was the most miserable time of my life :( getting my hands belted for getting long division sums wrong has Left me with a mental block for maths on paper to this day. I would love to meet some of the sadistic teachers we had now I am a grown up and not frightened of bullies :twisted: Thank God things have changed :)

Kate: you have summed it up perfectly (sorry about the pun :talk2hand: ). When you look back, some teachers were just rubbish.

We had a lot of Vietnamese 'boat people' arrive in our first year (aged 11) at our senior school........one in particular Hoa (pronounced waaa :wink: ) really irritated me one day, she cursed & swore perfectly like a navvy but seemed to have more difficulty with the politer side of the English language.........my explosion of "learn the proper language before the bad language" was heard by many & resulted in me being told off.....we were never best buddies :roll:

We also had a selection of board rubber bungers.......one used to break new sticks of chalk into tiny pieces every lesson & use them as missiles, very accurately :shock: ...a teacher at first primary school had a metal ruler which he swiped across the back of our wooden-backed chairs :shock: for the slightest misdemeanour, we learnt to behave fairly early on in his year group :wink: never much liked men with goatees ever since, only just made the connection :wink:

Being sung to by an English teacher whilst having my book marked still makes my skin crawl with embarrassment :oops:

Worse memories were being shoved off the steps of a pool & going underwater before I could swim......took years to be able to put my face under a running shower even, and only since having my own children have I trained myself to go underwater in a pool without panicking.....both kidlings swim confidently & were convinced they were otters as babies, so I managed to hide my fears well enough :anxious: ....still hate being splashed in a pool!

Other one involved food.......potato famine in 70's (probs 6-7yo) meant we were fed Smash or similar.......sorry to those who like it, best part about that stuff was the adverts :lol: ....child opposite me insisted on squeezing his between his teeth for all to see whilst we were eating........ :vom::vom: .....even mum's homemade mash never made it to my plate again.....DH finally broke that phobia in my 20s...even now I sometimes have to fight with the flashback when faced with 'unknown' mash :anxious:

Headmistress I'd never even spoken to told me at a pre-6th form interview that she was glad I'd chosen a vocational direction as I'd never make it with academic A-levels......glad I didn't change tack to spite her, may never have met & married DH (boss at first job after leaving college with hotel management diploma) etc etc etc.....daft witch!

Best days of your life?.......maybe :wink:

I think teachers learnt to throw accurately as part of their training cos missile training seems to be a big part of the threads. I dont remember women teachers doing it - one at primary school in Derbyshire used to stab her biro on your scalp - really hurt - I was only 5. i was facinated by her ears which were pierced _ I had never seen pierced ears before. Shes long gone stabbing scalps in hell now I expect :think:

I loved school in itself though I suffered at the hands of the bullies who thought doing your work and having a different accent made me fair game. My dad though hated it, spent much of his primary schooling locked in a cupboard to prevent bad behaviour. My mum passed her 11 plus but her father refused to let her go to the grammar school because he would have to buy the uniform and she was 'only a girl so it's not worth it' - he made the same comment when I went to uni :evil: she went to the secondary modern where one of her teachers used to flick BOGIES at the children if they talked in class :vom: !

I never thought I would be a teacher, but I am and I try very very hard not to embarrass or humiliate my students. I didn't like it, and I would be on he warpath if any of my boys' teachers did that.

I loved school, I can remember many fond memories including....

Spending a week on a biology field trip (Must have been 15 \16l) during this week it was my birthday, my teacher kindly took me and a few friends to the pub instead of counting the insects that were in the traps back at the river, this started a night of entertaining withh no sleep....next night we had to do a presentation on our results for the week...I spoke first did my intro OK and passed over to my friend who was asleep on the desk...so I made her section up so I went to pass over to my next friend who was also asleep, by now I was also very tired and getting a little flustered so my speech went from organisms falling into traps to the number of orgasms falling in traps and once I said it once I could not stop myself every time I tried to say organisms the wrong word came out.......then came the laughter and the tears and eventually my friends woke up....and we gave up (it was also being videoed.....)..I never found it embarrasing but very funny and even passed with an A and got the award for best biology student in the school !!!!

Also during biology and the rat dissection we decorated the lab with intestines !!!!! :shock: