Egluntyne

Longest Day

Cheer up you miserable lot: the best of the summer always comes after the longest day, and autumn doesn't start until November these days.

It's not until the clocks change at the end of October that things start getting a bit depressing. That's still over four months away.

If the time didn't start going the other way at this point, by August you would have to let your chickens out at 2am and put them to bed at midnight. Even I would start leaving the door open for them if that were the case.

Yes come on, y'all sound like my gnomic mother-in-law!!! The summer hasnt really started yet.....btw can I wish everyone Brightest Blessings for Litha (Summer Solstice), I will be lighting a fire on the hill tonight (weather permitting) and making Tussie Mussies for my friends when I get a minute!

Yes come on, y'all sound like my gnomic mother-in-law!!! The summer hasnt really started yet.....btw can I wish everyone Brightest Blessings for Litha (Summer Solstice), I will be lighting a fire on the hill tonight (weather permitting) and making Tussie Mussies for my friends when I get a minute!

Ever read " I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith? It's been one of my fav books for over 20 years :D

There is a big theme of Midsummer's Day in it

Here in Denmark we celebrate Midsummer as well. We call it Sankt Hans. Hans is short for Johannes, who is St John the Baptist and allegedly had his birthday on the 24th of June. On the 23rd in the evening (we always celebate everything the evening before, like Christmas!) we will gather in the park around 9pm and walk down to the playing fields with torches alight. There we will sing a song and some locally important person like the vicar or similar will hold a speech about keeping evil at bay. Finally we will light a huge bonfire with an effigy of a witch on top. We say that the witches all fly off and gather at Bloksbjerg, a mountain in Germany (Brocken), where traditionally they will dance with the devil all night... The rest of us will just go back home!

In Sweden they go all out and close the whole country tomorrow!

So, happy Midsummer to all of you!

Here in Denmark we celebrate Midsummer as well. We call it Sankt Hans. Hans is short for Johannes, who is St John the Baptist and allegedly had his birthday on the 24th of June. On the 23rd in the evening (we always celebate everything the evening before, like Christmas!) we will gather in the park around 9pm and walk down to the playing fields with torches alight. There we will sing a song and some locally important person like the vicar or similar will hold a speech about keeping evil at bay. Finally we will light a huge bonfire with an effigy of a witch on top. We say that the witches all fly off and gather at Bloksbjerg, a mountain in Germany (Brocken), where traditionally they will dance with the devil all night... The rest of us will just go back home!

In Sweden they go all out and close the whole country tomorrow!

So, happy Midsummer to all of you!

That sounds fascinating and meaningful.

Nothing like that happens in Sheffield.

:roll:

Us witches are mainly nice folk y'know and mainly misunderstood. Can I also underline here Satanism and Wicca are NOT the same thing at all!

I had a great misummer eve and midsummer's day (apart from Biz's rush to the vet) with rose petals all over the place and a lovely fire.

Those poor people in Boscastle.....how awful.

Us witches are mainly nice folk y'know and mainly misunderstood. Can I also underline here Satanism and Wicca are NOT the same thing at all!

I know that Rhapsody.....just quoting my daffy Aunt, whose rosary beads are never far from her hands.

I have a friend who describes herself as a Hedgewitch. She is a life enhancing, barking mad scatterbrain who is a joy to spend time with.

The idea of being at one with nature and learning about the "old ways" fascinates me and I learn a lot from her.

Oh....and She goes in for Lunar Planting and her veggies are fantastic.

just quoting my daffy Aunt, whose rosary beads are never far from her hands..

Ooooh, I wasn't taking issue with you Eg, just speaking generally. Nice to hear how pagan-savvy most of you are! (I dont normally 'come out' but it seemed appropriate on this thread)

About a year ago, we had quite a sprinkling of pagans on the forum - I like that diversity - you always learn something new, and there's lots of healthy debate :D

Brought up as Roman Catholic, I've never been into conventional religions myself, although the smell of incense does make me feel secure. As I get older, I am more into the earth-based ways.