chickencam

What have you been sowing and growing 2012

I have tomatoes, eggplants, green peppers, cabbage, cucumbers, and snap peas in for my fall crop in Florida. Everything looks good, but some of my peas are looking sad :cry: after I thined them out. I think I waitted to long to thin them and may have damanged some of the root systems.

Oh well live and learn. :wink:

With the cold snap around the corner,I have stripped my tomato plants of all the fruit today & now have a HUGE amount of green ones to process :roll:

hey ho!

Ooooooo fry them up!!! You just need to to put some salt, black pepper, and flour in a bowl mix it up. Slice the green tomatoes thin. Dredge them through the flour mixture, and then put them in hot oil. Yum!!!! Yum!!!! :dance:

I think I'll try that this year - I've never felt tempted before :)

We've just picked another 3kg of ripe tomatoes and don't have many green ones this year.

There delicious, :drool: my mother used to make them every year when green tomatoes were available. My brother ate so much one year he actually got sick stomach from them.

I tried them - they were lovely whilst eating them but had a bit of an aftertaste.....I think that might be the variety of tomato though because I didn't like them when they were ripe either, they were free seeds from Thompson & Morgan called Green Grape.....did anyone else try them?

They were a yellowy green when ripe, had an odd taste and I used them cooked in pasta sauce.

We're still picking the last few strawberries :shock: - they are a June variety :shock:

I'm a bit of a newbie to serious gardening and keep missing the 'window' to do stuff (this may also be because I'm seriously disorganised :oops: )

What my life needs, I think, is a really good calendar/schedule type thing that shows clearly what I should be sowing/planting etc at what time of year (in book, online, paper/whatever form). Anyone got any good suggestions?

I had one that was a freebie with something, but it doesn't have most of the stuff I'd actually grow on it

Been a rubbish year here. We planted the tomatoes early in the garden and all was going fairly well until we went on holiday and then splosh rain rain and more rain. It continued to be rubbish which delayed planting out of leeks and onions - by the time I was able there wasn't much growth. We did have some onions though - the winter onions which did us really proud! The tomatoes got blight. Apart from the ones in the greenhouse which were OK but slow to fruit and ripen. Well what bee wants to go out in rain? The peppers refused to grow. We have had some but nothing like last year. I have yet to test the parsnips - which got washed away in the deluge. Germination rather poor compared with last year. Mousy Tung and co chomped my beans so nothing going on there either. Come to think of it they also chomped my flower seeds!

But not to be beaten I have popped in more garlic (also rubbish this year) and more winter onions. I have yet to find out if the mouse has eaten any of those, as I broke my ankle shortly after that. Bah humbug. But I shall be sowing tomatoes and peppers earlier and the onions too. And I'm going to have words with the weather!!!!