chickencam

What have you been sowing and growing 2012

re-sowed 9 pots of tomatoes plus sweetcorn after only 2 out off 36 germinated worst season I've had for germination in 35 years of gardening also had a pot of cauliflower.cabbage, sprouts and linseed fail to germinate the toms that have germinated are struggling the leeks are the same and I sowed both of them a Month earlier than normal

sown the heritage french beans plus the Churchfield black runner beans and the squashes pumpkins and cucumbers just need a bit of warm dry weather so I can get the onions and first brasiccas planted out and get the rest of the heritage spuds potted up I've gone from been a good 2 or 3 weeks a head to over a month

I'm feeling a bit demotivated - I've probably got 50 sweet peas all germinated and growing away, but I left 30 of them hardening off for 3 weeks as I felt it was too wet to get them into the ground. When I came to plant them out at the weekend I realised the slugs have been at them (never known that to happen), and I have precisely 3 cosmos seedlings left out of the 20 I've planted for the same reason.

I still have dahlia tubers to get into the ground, but as the young growth is a magnet for the pests at the best of times, I'm a bit uncertain. I've tried them in pots and that didn't deter the slugs, and I've tried organic pellets which were completely useless. I think I'm going to get some nematodes and try that instead.

On the plus side my 2nd early spuds are thriving and the blackcurrants are going mad - I think it might be a bumper year :D:D

Ditto the Sweetpeas - I have heaps but nowhere for them to go :roll:

I almost lost my Cucumbers over the hot weekend - they just collapsed,but after a long drink they seem to have perked up a bit thank goodness.

My Greenhouse is still full of chicken stuff after the chicken shed fell down,so I have only 3 of my 9 Growbags up & running so far,& lots of tomatoes still in pots,poor things!

My courgettes are out & doing well & I have lots of Squash plants ready to go too :D

This lovely weather had really brought things on, we planted some French bean seeds about 3 weeks ago and there was no sign og them and now we have at least 24 plants, also my courgettes and patty pan squash weren't showing and sudenly over the weekend they have been popping up, I now have about 11 plants, which is way too many, glut times here we come. :roll:

The tomatoes and aubergines have grown masses in the past week, virtually doubling in size, and I spent yesterday afternoon pricking out loads of brassica seedlings into pots.

Planted up my window box with summer bedding too, I love the tiny trailing petunias, they come in a lovely range of colours and aren't as blousey as the large ones.

As a newby gardener I decided to try my luck with some radish seeds, as they're supposedly fairly fool-proof! I sowed them just over a week ago now in some fairly tight rows in a window box (living in a 3rd floor flat doesn't lend itself well to gardening!) and the first sprouts were up in a day and a half (talk about instant gratification :o )

Every seed sprouted, which I was very pleased with and now their true leaves are starting to come out nicely.

The other day I realised that there was nowhere near enough room for them to all grow as they were and that I should really thin them out, but it seemed such a shame to waste the little fellas so I decided I'd try spacing them out into whatever containers I had available (small pots, milk cartons, empty jars).

Having just finished doing this this afternoon I went online to read up about what was said about growing radishes and everyone says they don't like being transplanted!!! :doh:

On further inspection I did find people who said they always sprouted radishes in seed trays then transplanted them, sooooo i'm just going to keep an eye on them for the next few days and hope it all goes well :pray:

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Other than the radishes I've just got a rather sweet, little Lobelia erinus that I got at the same time I planted the radishes, it's doing very nicely and has lots of new stalks and flower buds growing. Any tips on keeping the growth and flower production good?

Most root crops don't like being transplanted, you tend to end up with mishapened roots, you might get away with it with radished because they are very quick growing, but I do find that they grow better in open ground where the roots form quickly with less leaf growth.

The heavy rain has totally destroyed my swede seedlings today which we do grow to sturdy plants in 3 inch pots because they grow better on our sandy soil when grown this way. The water came pouring over the gutters on our house and washed all of the compost out of the pots and mashed the plants. I did sow more seed on Wednesday so hopefully they will grow on quickly.

We are currently snowed under with broad beans :D we picked 3 bags full today :shock:

I also grabbed an onion and some parsley from the allotment... Made a fab broad bean pate for lunch, and have spent much of the afternoon shelling, blanching and freezing broad beans.

The allotment is looking fantastic at the moment :dance: I reckon we will have strawberries in a week or two, the super early tomatoes have a number of green tomatoes on them, so they should be red soon. There are courgettes starting to come.

What's coming up behind... We have other squash, the aubergine and pepper plants have grown significantly.... The peas and French beans are starting, we have currants coming. I love this time of year :dance:

Planted out the rest of my brassica plants and the French beans, sowed some more cabbage seeds for an autumn crop, a follow on crop of beans and some more lettuces and herbs. I also potted on some more pots of basil seedlings. I have an impressive basil pot on the kitchen womdow sill that came from a 69p supermarker pot, it sat there for a while got used to stumps and I repotted it into a large pot and it has grown and grown and is still being used, so I have been doing this with small homegrown pots, that i have always pricked out to single plants in the past. :D