chickencam

What have you been sowing and growing 2012

Finally got sowing!!

peas in guttering, beans in large old wooden boxes (this starts them in controlles env, and I can move them if I need to, Frost etc.)

onion sets in. Carrot bed prepped. Need to get some beetroot seed, and parsnip.

This is a new garden, as we moved here last Sept, and no one has tilled here since the 70's.... We dont know what'll grow , and what is waiting to eat/infect it if it does!!

Tomato plants at M in Laws house,

Have various pumpkin types starting on the kitchen windowsill!

My Sweetpeas have finally germinated :clap:

I am at that stage now when I am held up by the weather.

My Citrus trees can't leave the porch yet to go on the patio,as it is still going into the minus at night,which means there is nowhere for my Tomatoes to go yet,& they will have to stay on my windowsill.

I usually start the Toms off in the house,then move them to the porch,which is cooler,then eventually the greenhouse,but it looks as if I will have to be a bit more patient this year!

My tomatoes have been in the greenhouse since they germinated, I have been lighting a couple of large candles in there when it has been cold at night and a couple of smaller ones too the last couple of nights and they have been fine. I did look at buying a paraffin heater, but decided that for the size of greenhouse I have 6x4 it was too expensive and i have a stock of odd candles that I am happy to use up, it seems to keep the temp 2-3 degrees warmer than outside at night. The temperatures only drop for a short time at this time of year and the greenhouse warms right up as soon as the sun comes up.

I have had terrible trouble getting French Beans to germinate over the last few years, often buying several packets before I get enough for 2 rows.

I always start them off in the polytunnel as the ground stays wet and cold here for a long time but I still find the seed rotting in the compost before it germinates. Does anyone have any good tips? - I never used to have this trouble, I'm wondering whether using a bit of bottom heat would solve the problem?

Any advice welcome :) .

I only start mine of in pots now for the same reason but I start them in a cold greenhouse under the bench and only use tap water until the first leaves are well on the way to reduce damping off I'll start mine in about 2 weeks then plant them out early June dawf french are a lot more trouble than climbing french beans

I've got about 9 cucumber plants growing about nearly 4 inches tall already. Hoping for success with these, as I can't normally grow cucumbers - I never have been able to. Any tips?

The cherry tomato plants are doing well too - they want potting on from their yogurt pots into bigger pots now. Sweet peas are still taking over the bathroom. Nasturtiums should germinate in a couple of days. Poached egg plants - I have about 36 of them! :shock::roll: Every seed I sowed grew! :lol:

I must remember to shove a few pumpkin seeds in the muck / compost heap. Pumpkins love muck!

Emma.x

Re the Cucumbers - 2 things I know about those.

Firstly they do not like being potted on,so do it on a warm day & try to disturb them as little as possible. I generally lose a couple at potting on stage,but grow enough to have some in reserve.

Secondly,they like it warm,humid & damp....whereas tomatoes like it dryer. I hang a clear plastic sheet in front of them in the Greenhouse,so they get their own little steam room & they did very well last year,with no trouble to the tomatoes which were in the same Greenhouse.

I have planted TONS of seeds this year; both veg and flowers.

Today I planted out my broad beans. Only one seed didn't germinate but I still have 13 plants :D

Last week I sowed a load of cottagy type plant seeds in the front garden and covered with pepper (to stop cat digging them up) and then a good layer of bark. The seeds were from £land so I don't know if anything will come up, but its a mix of Delps, lupins, gypsophila, margurites, some liquorice plant, foxgloves and hollyhocks. The idea is they come up year after year :pray:

Veggies - toms have germinated nicely, well one lot have. The cherry one haven't done a thing.

Cues didn't germinate at all, so will sow another load and try your idea Sarah re the plastic sheet.

Sweetcorn has come up too

Lots of rocket and Little gem seedlings

Chard is started to sprout up in the garden (planted it in a border a la the Edible Gardener as the stems are the multi coloured ones) as are the beetroot and radishes and carrots.

Next month it is pea and bean sowing.

I am planning of growing loads this year as usually when I plant out a restrained amount of plants, we get hardly anything. I'd quite like to be complaining by the end of the summer that I have too much blahblah :D

I have some courgettes, pumpkins and sweetcorns in the cold frame just coming in - I think its Christian who like me uses the whole packet and then wonders when they all come up - why. I do give some away though. An elderly patient gave me a cucumber plant - hopefully I wont kill it like I managed to last year. I fear too my efforts will be washed away.

I discovered one of my veg patches had mini-lakes in it yesterday where enthusiastic chooks had stood on the same spot jumping up and down for the gone-over kale and compacted it. We've never had so much rain in the 8 years we've been here :shock:

Most of my seedlings are still inside, I'm too scared to plant them out, especially as I broadcast some meadow flower seeds about 3 weeks ago which have come up in the ground - I could see them beneath a sheet of water :shock: I haven't even started with courgette yet - will do in a week or so.

Further to my post last month about French Bean germination I sowed my bean seeds in trays and placed them in various warm spots to try and aid germination, however, same old problem, only about 25% of them came up. I resowed them last week and put the trays in the heated propagator and have now achieved a 90% germination rate, I think this is now the way to go with French Beans as before I was wasting vast amounts of seed trying to get enough plants for 2 rows.

Just hope that nothing else happens to them before they get big enough to plant out :) .

We had a lovely day yesterday and we extended our BH weekend to spend the day potting on and sewing seeds. I planted my Tumbler tomatoes in their hanging baskets, but left them in the greenhouse until the forecast heavy rain passes. Potted on all of my chillies and aubergines and OH sowed masses of seeds in pots, so I hope he will be as keen when it comes to porting on time!