chickencam

What have you been sowing and growing 2012

Today I have sowed lots of different Brassicas into the fibre pots that disintegrate.

Cauliflowers, Sprouts, Cabbage (Primo and Savoy), calabrese, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Kale (Cavolo Nero and Frosty).

Just 3 of each. It's probably not the right time for most of them, but the weather is so unpredictable I thought I'd give them a shot.

Also sowed Mangetout, and some flowers; Nasturtium, Butterfly mix and night scented stock.

Planted out some Sweetcorn (Minipop), which I only sowed last week. It grew 6 inches in a week!

The slugs are chomping away on my young lettuces. I used to have some pet safe slug deterrent, couldn't find any in the shops today. Will have to bake some egg shells, crush them up and scatter around for now.

Having now lost my entire sowing of runners to slugs, along with 2 sowings of courgette, and my broad beans flowered but now the leaves are disappearing so I don't hold out much hope for any pods, I am pleased to report one of the only things I can pick are some enormous raspberries, I've never seen them so big 8) Only slight downer is that I can't even claim the credit for them, they aren't mine - they are rogue ones from next door which have appeared in the hedge :oops:

i was on the allotment last night picking strawberries (not many left) when the lady on the allotment over the way called over. She and OH have what can only be described as a strawberry field - every year they have tons of strawberries. She filled up my container (wish I'd taken a bigger one) as said she was fed up of strawberries. She given loads away and made tons of jam . lesson learnt take a bigger container next time :lol: 3 raspberries picked

I now have 4 small courgettes that are nearly ready to eat, the plant is huge so this will be the tip of the iceberg I think. It is planted in the top of a compost heap made from palletts that we filled last year and over the winter then topped with the compost from a cheap growbag, it really started growing when it got it's roots down, there is a lot of aubiose and chicken poop in there, :lol: we have another 4 plants at the allotment too. :anxious:

OH and I spent ages trying to train the triphid like tomato plants in the greehouse last night, they have gone mad with the warm damp weather of the past week. The worst ones are a small plum variety called Rosada, we grew them last year and they are lovely, but the plants grow very tall and don't really produce trusses until they are quite tall, but then they produce masses of really long ones and the tomatoes taste fantastic. :D

This hot, wet weather has really made things grow :shock: The onions I have grown are huge, they have never been greatly successful before. Due to our generally colder weather I cannot grow tomatoes outside but the ones in the greenhouse are doing well and my strawberries in there are nice too. The peas are shooting up and the potatoes are starting to flower :D Sadly the weeds are also doing well :(

I have mine in raised beds and I don't think we have had it quite as wet as you folk down south. I think our wetness here has probably only been a bit above the norm but it has been warm. So have no excuse not to weed. All the shrubs have shot up too so it is a bit jungly in places :shock:

I plant mine in September and lift it when the leaves start going yellow. They were all a good size but some were looking like they might start rotting if they had to cope with much more rain.

I'd rather have smaller bulbs than large rotting ones!

Worth looking at a bulb to see what you think.

i dug up some today - about sized of a plum. I can remember one year you had some lovely big bulbs Lesley - these picked are

very pungent. One the way home we could smell them in the car even thou they were in the boot. So hopefully even thou small they will be usable

I'm sure they will be lovely, use some green and don't worry about waiting for them to dry. I love green garlic!

What time of year do you plant it out? I plant mine in September if I can, October at the latest.....then I ignore them :lol: I lifted one about 3 weeks ago and it wasn't fully formed but was really tasty, the rest I lifted on Thursday were lovely big bulbs.

Ditto the brassicas and some years back had success with courgettes and pumpkins - now despite digging in tons of chicken poo etc - not growing. Strangely others on same allotments grow this stuff so well. I suspect because many are retired they have the time to do it all properly - us working gals dont have the time to do things so well.

Most of the squash family are very hungry and thirsty. We have sandy soil on our allotment and struggle in dry years, should have been ok this year but I think it is too cold for them. I have a good courgette on my compost heap at home but the ones at the allotment are small and sickly looking this year, they are forming fruit now though.

It has been a bad year for broad beans, too many blackfly and too much rain for the insects to pollinate, we tend to plant ours in pots in February for planting out in late March, we have no luck with direct sowings I think the mice have them. I was a great year last year, best ever.

We've had a fabulous year for broad beans :think:

Our strawberries though are ruined, they are either being decimated by slugs or rotting before turning red and our parsnips didn't start growing this year and we had a bumper harvest last year :wall:

OH came home from the allotment today with courgettes, broad beans, peas and tomatoes.

We needed to harvest all our onions before rotting too, most are small but very tasty :D

I love seasonal cooking.... Seeing what OH brings home and then deciding what the recipe can be :dance: