chickencam

What have you been sowing and growing 2012

Pumpkins, beetroot, swede and sweetcorn all doing ok. They took a while but kicking off now. Two types of carrot which look good on the surface but I have always failed with carrots. Butternut squash have been hopeless. Peas are starting to look strong. Peppers and chillis in greenhouse are strong but small. I have used nematodes for several years, I think they've saved me lots of grief with slugs this year. Despite the weather I haven't seen any slugs, at all.

Nematodes are naturally occurring microscopic parasites that enjoy a juicy slug. They are always in the soil and reproduce to keep pace with slug population. If you introduce them to your soil it tips things in your balance. They disappear into the ground and are harmless to other creatures. I buy nemaslug off of Amazon, it's not too late to use some now. I was sceptical at first but they've proved themselves this year for certain.

I picked Peas, Broad beans, a Cucumber ,Courgettes, Raspberries & Blackcurrants over the weekend.

Had to pull up my Pak Choi & give it to the hens as it was going to seed.................they also got the Beetroot & Carrot thinnings!

Got another row of carrots & more salad in too....................also had to add more soil to the onions again,as it all keeps getting washed away :roll:

I picked a huge courgette yesterday.

The only things thriving at the allotment at the moment are sprouts, swede, kale and purple sprouting, but the pigeons are starting to attack them, amazingly I quite a bit of good lettuce down there too, but I have to wash it so well because we have sandy soil, gritty sandwiches are not nice. :roll:

The sweetcorn plants are healthy but if we ever get any sun when they need it is another matter. My carrots are hiding in a mass of milk thistles as are my onions, although maybe that has kept the soil around them. I also lost all of my seedlings of beetroot, turnips, chard, and parsnips in a weed patch. I will have to sow some more.

We are losing a day of each weekend visiting my grandad in hospital and with that and the rain we just haven't been able to keep on top of it this year. :(

Today from the allotment we have had some broad beans, peas, black currants, courgettes and tomatoes.

There is one pepper plant in the greenhouse that has some quite sizeable peppers on it and our sprouts and Calabrese are thriving, we also have some heads developing on our cauliflowers :dance:

It's mainly flowers here. The dahlias are all beautiful & I noticed the freesias are all now in flower. I don't know what has suddenly happened to the sweet peas, but they have gone mad & I have a few deep purple sweet pea flowers too. As for the nastutiums - they are like triffids. They've gone mad!!! I have a lot of cherry tomatoes on the indoor plants - they just need to ripen now. Then there are about 4 cucumbers which are growing nicely too.

Emma.x

Eventually got out in the garden Saturday to do some weeding and see what has survived this awful weather. Shallots look really good, onions are a bit flattened but I think that's more to do with the deer walking on them rather than the rain knocking them over :roll: . Leeks and most of the winter brassicas are doing well. Some broad beans, French beans have a few flowers and the runner beans are struggling up the poles.

Unfortunately courgettes are suffering from the weather and the carrots look sp"Ooops, word censored!". Early potato crop is poor and I can see the beginning of blight on the main crop potatoes. Also my strawberries have been really poor, terrible germination on the flowers and anything that has developed either goes rotten, is eaten by slugs or smashed by torrential rain. And I have given up sowing radishes.

On the plus side I am getting plenty of cucumbers from the polytunnel, my lettuce seem be surviving the slug onslaught and the beetroot are doing well.

My first lot of Peas suffered,so I sowed a very late lot last week, & they are shooting away nicely :)

I figured that everything was late this year,so I might as well give it a bash & see what happens.

My Tomatoes are not so good this year after - less fruit set than usual....by now I am usually picking the first ones,but the ones I do have are all still tiny & green :?

My tomatoes are still on flower and so far only one truss of actual tomatoes. And they are in the greenhouse!

I've had some potatoes. My strawberries all rotted and I've had total onion and garlic failure :(

So far not that productive a year. I think I'm really green fingered... Not :lol:

Oh dear, my garden's a bit of a disaster on the vegetable front. No strawberries at all, my radishes are long pink pieces of string, the slugs got the lettuce and the cats ate the beans and purple sprouting broccoli before they got to the garden :roll:

I have a wonderful recipe for courgette & tarragon soup,which we all love & it freezes really well.

The Husband & the youngest daughter hate them with a passion (apart from this soup!),but I throw them into everything this time of year - Bologneses,Curries,Pizzas etc.

I made a big batch of ratatuoille & portioned it up to freeze ,& my eldest will take a few of those back to uni with her next month.

Courgette & Parmesan Quiche is also a favourite :P

I've grown cucumbers for the first time ever! What I mean is - they have survived! :oops: I didn't re pot them, just left them in big silver ice cream scoopy tubs & I have left them indoors on the window sill. They look like triffids from outside , but I don't care - I have cucumbers! :dance: They are still a bit spikey at one end yet - but I am so very pleased, can you tell? :lol:

My cherry toms - just need ripening off. There are loads. I've done very well with the sweet peas - think they were very late to get their bums into gear this year. But they are good strong plants now & have the most gorgeous deep purple flowers.

Emma.x

My Q's are amazing this year.

I normally grow Telegraph,but this year I have gone for a mini one - EVERY seed germinated & I have heaps of Cucumbers growing away.

I have 4 ready to pick & have already picked that many over the past few weeks - they are a great size for a weeks worth of salads 8)