chickencam

What have you been sowing and growing 2012

I thought that I would start a thread for this year, it is nearly that time again and we planted some Banana shallots yesterday in a covered raised bed at home. I am hoping that they will survivve the cold, we wanted to do some at home this year to harvest when our stored onions run out, we are always a little too late planting them at the allotment. We will plant normal shallots in a few weeks at the allotment along with some shallot and onion seeds which we bought for 50p a packet in Wyvale's autumn seed sale, we have not tried these before.

I also sorted out my seeds and made a pile of things that need to go into the propagator, I will wait until this cold snap is over and then get my early tomatoes and chillis planted. :D

I can't wait for spring :D

So far I have managed to sow some fancy cosmos in a cold conservatory but nothing edible! I need to get on with things like sweetpeas and a handful of other flowery seeds, plus I am going to start some dahlia tubers in pots and see if I can take cuttings and grow on the shoots. I think its a tiny bit early for my courgettes/beans etc, but I did give in to some more raspberry canes (Tullameen) and another blackcurrant (Ben Sarek) which I planted last week as I desperately want to try a liquorice and blackcurrant ice cream this year :D

I planted some broad beans on Saturday (before Mr Fox visited :roll: ) I didn't put them in a veg bed but interspersed them with other things that are growing :oops: I'm very much a novice and live by one philosophy when gardening: it will either grow, or not.

Not quite sure why I planted them thinking about it; don't think any of us actually like them! :oops:

Planted some Cerinthe and Sweet Peas to grow in large pots on the patio and some Cosmos to go out in the beds.

I'm trying to rein in my plans as the house is on the market (Had an offer but they pulled out at the last minute.......sigh)

Picked some hazel from the hedgerows so that hubby can make something for Sweet Peas to climb up ....have you seen the prices of the ones in the garden centres.....robbery!!!!

I have some beefsteak toms,plum toms,sweetpeas, first early peas, hostas, coneflowers, chilies, peppers all in the propagator. I am going to order the budget greenhouse as per an earlier thread. with beefsteak toms selling between 50p to 65p each and bell peppers being quite pricey it will hopefully pay for itself

Managed to get the garlic in and sneaked a couple of currant cordons into one of the flower beds in a nice gap on the fence - I'm not supposed to put any more edible stuff in the garden (not pretty enough apparently) but fortunately the rest of my household wouldn't know a buttercup from an artichoke so I should be safe :lol:

Edited by Guest

Dug out a veg bed this afternoon, with the help of ' Sid' the old fella dweller ( 80 years old) who lives in a caravan in a copse of trees. Bless him he wouldn't stop helping me with this wierd tool of his!

Going over it with a rotavator in the week & will then cover with black plastic to warm the bed. Potatoes (1st earlies) chitting nicely in egg trays. Got some dahlia tubers to go in too. Will buy my seeds in next week & get them started.

Emma.x

I got my Broad beans in today....it is such a beautiful afternoon.

I would love to get my Tomatoes,Courgettes,Cucumbers & so forth started,but I still feel that it is too early....a few years ago mine all got hit hard by a late frost & I had to start again :roll:

I have a week off late March,so will sow them then :D

today I've sown

sweet pea:- Galaxy, Big Top and Old Spice

Onion:- Bedfordshire Champion.Red brunswick,Gold Coin Rossa Savonese

Parsley:- Envy

Red Cabbage:- Red Drumhead

Leek :- St Victor

Daliha:- Figaro

and Basil:- Genovese