LolaLayla

Rain and Silkies

Just wondered what other Silkies owners do if it is raining heavily. I thought my girls would stay under the shelter of the holly bush in heavy rain but today I spotted them out in the open getting very wet. I dried them off (particularly their heads) with paper towels and put them back in the covered run. Would it have been ok to let them stay out or would others have put them under cover too?

My two silkie girls are lovely, but are the dimmest chickens I have ever owned! :lol:

They will happily mooch about outside when the heavens open and I've given up hoping that they'll take themselves back inside of their own accord. My Silkie boy tries to herd all his girls back into the run as soon as it starts raining heavily but those two just ignore him- much to his distress! :roll:

I tend to shut them in myself if the weather's really grotty...

If it's torrential rain then I'd probably get them in but I always used to leave my girls FRing all day whilst I was at work so they did what they liked (normally getting wet! :roll: ). I think as long as they've got somewhere dry to go and get warm again if they want to they will, I'm led to believe that their feathers aren't waterproof at all so they can definitely feel it but at the same time, cute as they are, they're hardier than we let ourselves think! :lol:

Mine are quite good at going under the hen house but then keep popping their heads out to see if is still raining and so get drenched from the roof fun off :doh: If we've had a lot of rain or rain late in the day, I dry their backs and top knots with paper kitchen towel before I shut them in at night. If they are really soggy chooks, then I do them with the hair drier on a low setting. They really seem to like this. Perhaps they are not as silly as I think and do it on purpose.

Hello! New silkie mumma here, 3 birds and 2.5 weeks in.

today the 3 of them have got wet, I stupidly left open theyre eglu pen door into theyre larger run ( thinking it wouldnt rain anymore) but it has. I cant physically get into theyre 2m covered run n since they are still abit wary of me they run away. 
think they will be ok or do i have to crawl into the pen on my tummy and try and grab one by one wriggle back out n towel dry it off!????

im pleased to say, ive ordered a new coop and walk in run, so this wont be an issue in the future( just got to build it)

no eggs yet but i know theyre not great layers, how long before they settle in and lay an egg... even one would be great!!!!

any help would be appreciated very much