Chortle Chook

Can pregnant or nursing mothers have free range eggs?

My neighbour has just had a wee baby girl (born on Valentine's day). I did not give them any of our eggs while she was pregnant because I seem to remember having read somewhere that pregnant women should not eat eggs. I don't know how true this is. Also can she now have our eggs or should nursing mothers avoid them?

(My chickens run about my garden all day every day so are very much FR. They are wormed and I poo pick every day and give them a full clean every week. I feed them on Omlet organic crumbs but they aslo get salad and a little pasta and cheese.)

I think that green potatoes are toxic full stop.

Eggs are so nutritious that it seems a shame not to eat them. I ate lots of fish when I was expecting and still ate the odd bit of liver too. I think that a lot of it depends on your immune system; having been brought up around my grandfolks' livestock I think I must be pretty immune to most stuff.

I think most eggs are salmonella-free now anyway! Tsk, tsk, eating liver when pg, too much vitamin A - apparantly v bad for fetus. And fish =mercury, so that's bad too :lol: .

I generally found out what I "wasn't supposed" to eat moments after I'd just eaten it!!! Amazing how many people are prepared to tell you "you shouldn't have eaten that :shameonu: " after the event, but not before...

Am sure my midwife told me to avoid raw eggs, prawns, blue cheese etc only for the first 6 weeks of pregnancy and then to enjoy being pregnant, eat healthy but enjoy eating. She was a good old fashioned midwife! (It was only 6 years ago). I am sure some of the food allergies in children today are because pregnant mums avoid too much - peanuts etc. Give me a slice of peanut butter on toast any day. We didn't have any food allergies in my day (oh dear i am sounding like my mum more and more. :shock: ).....I am not 40....yet.