LIgal

Can I use my shredder paper?

I use it because i have nest box sleepers and it does make it easier to clean out the nest box and dump some more in (or on top if feeling particularly lazy) :oops: Plus it doesn't fall through the hole in the cube nest box, whereas the aubiose does. And it all goes in the compost bin, recycling at it's best 8)

The issue of ink toxicity was my worry. We have lots of shredded paper but I'm not happy about using it. I've been told by a friend who keeps guinea pigs that they can't use it because of the ink is toxic.

It might also differ depending on the ink. Newspaper ink or photocopier ink or inkjet ink might all be different. No sure where to find out.

I used it initially and it does make a bit of a mess. They like to scratch around in their nesting material so it gets all around the edge of the tray and falls into the yard when you pull it out. I just use pine straw now. They like it just as well as long as it's fairly fresh and it doesn't matter if it falls out since it's already scattered around my yard!

We use our shredded paper in the droppings tray and a mixture of it with aubiose in the nest box. It does however need to be emptied more often (as it isn't as absorbent as aubiose), and I spend half my term picking it up around the garden as it blows out of the entrance :roll:

It is a good way of saving money/environment though! :)

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll use the shredder paper in the wood burning stove and choose something else for the coop. Got my eglu last week and am having problems with the assembly...bolts that cant fit in holes, my side panel with the front lid hatch hole will not line up with the lid hatch locking mechanism...so I have half a coop right now and a message into customer support. Worried that the girls will come before all this gets sorted out... :(