..lay a little egg for me

cockerel visiting us? or here to stay?

Looked out into the garden this morning and saw a lovely cockerel pecking around with our hens! We don't know where he's come from. There are loads of people with chickens in our rural area. I was wondering, will he go home at the end of the day? If so will he take our girls with him? Or is he more likely to follow our girls into our coop?

Well, mid afternoon he took himself off. One of our neighbours said he spent the day with her hens yesterday so he clearly likes visiting! He didn't seem to be romantically inclined. He was more interested in stealing the girls' treats. It will be interesting to see if he visits again.

I was torn between wanting him to stay and thinking he could be trouble if he was carrying parasites our was aggressive to humans. (He pretty much ignored us today though).

I posted a pic on my Facebook wall, but can't remember how to get it into a post on here!

He has possibly been dumped by someone who couldn't cope with the crowing or has hatched too many and can't face having the cockerels culled

Its incredibly common for cockerels to be thrown over a fence where there are chickens, some of my friends have it happen at least once a month :(

Well he's visited every day this week, going home at about 4pm and back next morning. It's quite a good way to have a cockerel as he's not adding to the poo in the coop or waking us up really early with his crowing!

It seems that the urge to roost in a known place is stronger than his desires to be with our girls.

It will be interesting to see whether he stops coming when the neighbours get more chickens.