Tricky

Mrs Pepperpot 7 years old and still laying

My Mrs Pepperpot who is now 7 years old has started laying eggs again after her most recent moult.3 eggs in the ladt week. :clap::clap:

I don't know how old hens should be when they stop laying but I think 7 is pretty good.She is spoilt though :D Arent they all

Wow, well done that girl! I had an original omlet pepperpot and she lived to be 6 and still laid in her last year (although only a handful). She was a lovely hen, very large with beautiful irridescent black feathers. I do wonder if the more recent crop of copper black type hens are a different strain because they have been much slighter in frame and nowhere near as sturdy (nor such good layers :? )

Good going for an old girl! :D

I do wonder if the more recent crop of copper black type hens are a different strain because they have been much slighter in frame and nowhere near as sturdy (nor such good layers :? )

I've found that too, they aren't as chunky hens... think supplier may have changed but guess they'd keep the same breeds into creating similar hybrids.

Will try + find out!