evoke

Hens coming into the house

How can I stop my hens from coming into the house when I have the back door open? I didn't want to put a baby gate up as this would stop my elderly cats from going out. I have found two of the hens going upstairs and if there is any cat food down then they start pecking at it (not a good idea!). Any suggestions please?

Er - keep the door closed?

Seriously, the only thing you can do is put up a barrier of some sort. You can't train hens not to go somewhere (if only ... I'd have mine trained not to touch the veg patch!) and once they have discovered cat food, they will be back. If you put up a stair-gate type of thing, would the cats perhaps be able to squeeze through or climb over it? The trouble is that the hens are just as likely to work out that they can perch on top of it and then jump down.

I never, ever let my hens in the house - chicken poop on the patio is bad enough!

I have a baby gate across my back door. It was just too restricting not to have the back door open and although I do let the girls in sometimes I don't want them in all the time. My cat is 11 and she can easily jump over it. Ebay once managed to get over but has never tried since. She also got through the cat flap (!) so now that is locked.

We started off by being good and not letting our in, but with the nice weather and we had the door open, all 3 chooks came into the kitchen and then parked themselves by the fridge. We have a laminate floor in the kitchen, so cleaning up poop is easy.

I have to say, hearing our girls chirping away to each other is a sound I would miss if they were not in the kitchen, so I let them carry on and then clear up the poop.

I have a couple of fabric baby barriers that I use on the lounge and conservatory doors, I got them a couple of years ago to keep the kittens in, but found they had the added bonus of keeping the girlies out :D They have mesh in the middle so you'll see if the cat is there.

My girls love my conservatory floor and seem to want to buy it :? Well I think that's why they leave a deposit on it :lol:

Hi,

I have just invested (£3!) in one of the old fashioned door curtains - ribbons hanging down. I like to think of it as a "vintage/retro" addition to the kitchen :wink: . It has been up a week and we haven't had any of the girls popping through it yet, they don't seem to like the movement and rustling so stand a couple of feet back from it. Definitely worth a try for £3 and i should think cats will still go through it?

:D

Ours are always coming in the house if they are FR and the door is open - chicken poop on the sitting room rug is not nice. They just love it though and even if the door is shut they sit outside a look in. I have found they will not stop so when the door is open they are confined to the WIR.

:shameonu:

I've thought about getting something like this screen curtain to let the kitchen air out occasionally when it is a nice temperature outside, but keep the flies and moths out. I can't have a permanent screen door because I have a cat flap in that door. http://www.amazon.com/Bug-Off-Instant-Screen-32-Inch/dp/B002DR0DMS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I guess if a cat or dog could figure out how to get through, a pushy enough hen could, too! :)

I have a bamboo curtain to stop my girls coming in, but the dog can easily get out into the garden , he just races through it! I got mine on Ebay for about a tenner. It hangs easily on two hooks and fits a standard size door.

Ha ha! Marlene & Cassandra wander into our kitchen too. :roll: Fortunately, we have a terazzio marble floor, so any poops are easy to clean up. We can't stop them really & as we are easy going people - we don't really mind. We soon get them out with a few treats thrown outside. They seem to stay out then.

Baby gate? or one of those funny tape / beaded curtains might deter them.

Emma.x

Our hens are always coming in when the patio doors are open, much to the surprise of my elderly Sheltie cross who wonders what they are doing. Only one comes into the house whilst the others all preen and burble away. I find it quite sweet and comforting, and of course they have trained me to throw out a treat when I want them out!

I have a bamboo curtain to stop my girls coming in, but the dog can easily get out into the garden , he just races through it! I got mine on Ebay for about a tenner. It hangs easily on two hooks and fits a standard size door.

Because our kitchen is south facing and gets very hot I have one of those mesh screens hanging up (my OH says it makes us look like the butchers :D which is quite amusing as we are all veggie) It does stop the sun and the flies but doesn't deter the girls at all...any of them..Only Attie doesn't come into the kitchen but she is extremely flighty anyway!.....

TBH I'm not too bothered about them coming in as we have hard floors which are easily cleaned up....my OH always chases them out...and at one time just threatening the late and much lamented Kipper with a water pistol was enough to make her turn tail and run back into the garden.....