gazzagerkin

how long do hybrids live?

I have four hybrids who are just about a year and a half old.

As I understand it anything between about 2.5 and 4 years is about normal. Anything older than that is doing very well. But there seems a lot of variation, just as some will stop laying after about two years, some will continue right till the day they die.

I have heard that white stars and warrens (rhode ranger) can have shorter lives, I guess this could be because of their reputations for the best egg production, and it tends to be that the better rate of laying equals a more compressed laying life, which equals a shorter lived bird

Scramble was 9 months old but she had complications after a huge softie and an underlying infection :( Which in spite of intensive treatment she wasn't going to recover from and had to be PTS.

Poach was 3 Years old and died from either an aneurysm or a heart attack, appeared to have happened very suddenly (we found her when we arrived home from a holiday)

and Angua was a bantam and was 2 and a half, again she died in her sleep, I went out in the morning and she was in the nesting box with her eyes shut.

But Penny and Peaky are both now 3, and both still going strong and laying pretty much daily.

Please see signature for Breeds. Hope this is useful to you.

We have just lost our fourth and last hen, Speckle, she was a ripe old 5 years old. One of our original Omlet hens, Margot, also lived that long, passing away just before Christmas. Our other two, Ginger and Warnie were shorter lived, about the average I think. When Margot and Speckle retired from laying, they reminded me of two old ladies chatting about this and that as they foraged in the garden, we started calling them Hinge and Bracket. What lovely lives they had. I quite miss my twice daily (or more) trips to the end of the garden to see them. (purple eglu)