munkee1965

Mealworms, Cheap!

Perhaps they are not 'clean' Mitcho, so they could be carrying something that shouldn't get into the food chain or which may make the chickens sick, like botulism, salmonella or some other virus. Of course that then begs the question "what are they being sold to be used for?" and "should they be sold at all?"

Just checked the QD web site and they are a clearance item specifically for wild birds. Suppose that is something you need to look out for when buying meal worms.

If you fancy buying a bulk load you can get 2kg from Amazon for £16.61 delivered.

I bought some last week, they arrive in 1 kg clear bags packaged inside a large bag for transit. They aren't the huge mealworms you sometimes get but the birds don't know the difference. They do take several days to arrive though - I think mine arrived in 4 days.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/2KG-WILD-BIRD-DRIED-MEALWORMS/dp/B00BJ03UQQ/ref=lp_2798689031_1_1?srs=2798689031&ie=UTF8&qid=1445085510&sr=8-1

Personally I am more concerned about the disease that my hens pick up when drinking slimy water from the wheelbarrow, eating half a dead bird the buzzard dropped or the manky grossness of rooting in the compost heap than a few germs from dried mealworms. Hens really are revolting creatures sometimes.

I have always bought them from Home Bargains apart from at Christmas when buy the girls a big sack from local feed store

Hi all, I was in my local Wilkos last week and they had a huge bag for £10, i think it might have been 5kg or bigger, seemed to be a special deal as it was displayed on a table near the door and not in the birdfood section.

on a separate note, Wilkos sells compressed seed blocks which look very similar to the more expensive chicken treat peck blocks you can buy. they are £1 each, I havent given them to the chooks yet as they are stuck together with 'edible glue', does anyone know if that is ok for chooks? presumably thats what the chicken specific ones are stuck together with anyway? also am just thinking that if i can give them to little robins then surely they arent going to do anything bad to the chooks anyway?